L/12 marked stuff..used to be...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L/12 marked stuff..used to be...

...that most collectors wouldn't touch it because supposedly there were post war restrikes struck from wartime dies which used the L/12 mark, textbook L/12 RKs being the exception. I remember being told this as an up and coming collector, and most older collectors seemed to avoid this mark like the plague. Now these items are accepted into the mainstream. Was there no validity to these concerns, or have we just forgotten? I've always avoided L/12 stuff completey (save for RKs) out of habit. I remember the same warnings from experienced collectors about JMME flight badges and REDO SA sport badges to name a few (restruck from original dies). Now these are everywhere, and mainstream as well. I've always been curious.

Dear Andy,

With the REDO SA-badges there is a way to tell if they are good ones or restrikes. The key lies in the letter type of the maker´s mark.

Cheers, Frank
    Cheers, Frank

Comment

There is an even easier way to avoid the bad ones...don't buy them.

Comment

True, but I had bought a REDO BEFORE I heard the story that most of them are bad. And was lucky to have bought a good one (when I was 17)!

Cheers, Frank
        Cheers, Frank

Comment

so which is it?

maybe I missed the answer to the question. Is the L/12
          stuff good or bad?

thanks,
          gregM

Comment

Frank,
            If the SA-badges are struck from the original dies, wouldn't the makers mark be identical to the pre '45 pieces?

Cheers,
            Brett

Comment

Frank,
              Could you please post a picture of the REDO makers mark on a good SA-Badge. They are not really my field but I have a boxed silver one, which I was sure was OK but now you've got me wondering about it.
              Thanks
              Ronnie

Comment

Dear Ronnie,

In my personal opinion, from what I have gathered and seen over the years (without any proof), this is what I think a good Redo badge:
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

rev. Sorry guys, this is the wrong forum, but I thought I´d answer Ronnie´s request here.
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

Frank,
                    Thanks for posting the photos, much appreciated. My badge appears to be the exact same. Would post pics but don't yet have the equipment to do so.
                    Cheers
                    Ronnie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X