Schinkel Ek1 One Piece Vaulted...thoughts Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schinkel Ek1 One Piece Vaulted...thoughts Please

hI gUYS....here is a heavily vaulted Schinkel form EK1 . Early pin back example struck in one piece. The blacking is a deep gloss black similar to an enamel...

Any thoughts most welcome
    Attached Files

heavily vaulted
    Attached Files

Comment

fine pin
      Attached Files

Comment

Sven,

I confess to no real knowledge on these at all and I'm not knocking this lovely looking award.

But, forgive my ignorance what is the black on the ribbed rim and on the left arm of the cross there looks to be a couple of indentations, but are black? The swas as well the metal under the paint looks fresh as opposed to dulled old wear.

What a negative post Marcus, sorry Sven I'm still learning so I had to ask mate. don't take it as me hammering your cross. It's a sexy cross and I don't own one.

Kind regards

Marcus

Comment

Doh, Right arm as you look at it

Comment

Sven,

are you sure this one was not re-painted?

Dietrich
            B&D PUBLISHING
            Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

ive had a good look under a mag glass, the marks on the arms are chips in the paint. At the top of the arm there seems to be a small amount of blacking on the ribbed rim. I dont know if its ever been repainted but with it being a one piece construction it would have had to been hand painted/blacked after being pressed wouldnt it? Where the paint is chipped its a bright silver. Thoughts guys?

Comment

I see what Marcus is talking about-it looks like a painted over chip on the right arm.

Your pictures are not very good, and I am afraid this will really limit responses of much value. What I can see though, leaves me with some concerns.

First off, the painted chip? Can you confirm this?

The obverse corners of the arms seems to show some wear, but I dont see it on the reverse. I admit though, that pictures quality may be the culprit.

I also do not like the numbers at all. No thickness, and no little balls on the ends. Usually, (and this is no absolute, mind you) the numerals that dont have the little serif balls have the thicker numerals, while on other Shinkel crosses I have seen the even numerals are with the serif balls. This is hard to explain, lets see some pictures.

First off, this is my Shinkel EK1. Notice how the numerals have no serifs, but are designed with a tapering thickness.
                Attached Files

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

If you can excuse the use of a Shinkel EK2, here is the type with straight, even numerals, which also have the little serif balls.

I am not making any judgement calls, as the pictures are not detailed enough to formulate such a response.

more questions:

Is your center magnetic? Is it a three peice cross?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi. sorry that my pics arnt good. Must be my camera.

there is a paint chip on a couple of places, where it as gone all the way through there is bright silver.

There is very little wear to the cross.

re the numerals, i think you are talking about the ones on the 3 part construction Shinkel EK1, this is a 1 part single pressing. Ive just looked at the same EK1 Shinkel 1 part construction as mine which is on page 123 of Gordons book and its identical along with a little over paint of the ribbing.

Comment

Hi Mark...re your other questions....

1....The centre is not magnetic .

2...The EK is NOT 3 part construction its the rarer 1 part Shinkel EK1, this is a 1 part single pressing with the painted centre.

The rarer Shinkel 1 part construction is on page 123 of Gordons book and its identical along with a little over paint of the ribbing.

...thanks sven

Comment

I guess my comments are null and void then, as I dont have any experience with 1 peice crosses. Sorry I didnt catch mention of this in your first post.

(that painted over chip still bugs me though)

Comment

A lot of fake one piece EK1s have been appearing, but they do not have the hinge that your piece has...your hinge is what is accepted as correct on shinkels that I have seen, John

Comment

Paint chip aside, looks like a perfectly good original piece.
                            Some one-piece crosses were steel stampings, given a thin brass plating to allow the steel to take a silver plate, others were stamped from brass then silver plated, so you can have magnetic and non magnetic examples.
                            All could have paint on the rim as there was obviously no possibility of paitning the core before assembly.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X