E/Bay Knights cross Beware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E/Bay Knights cross Beware

Looks like Latvia is selling crosses identical to the cross in page 471 of Gordon Williamson's book.

what item number is it?
    Brian

Comment

E/Bay Cross

Comment

WHY???

Why does the seller keep the bidder's idenity secret? Do they have something to hide (the bidder ) or what? Just kind of weird...

Comment

E/Bay Cross Knight

There are now over ten bidders

Comment

The reason they keep the bidders' names private, is they don't want people like us e-mailing the bidders to warn them.

These buyers are putting in huge money even though A) the thing is from Latvia, for cryin' out loud, B) it has no guarantee - all sales final, C) the buyer is deliberately blocking the identity of bidders and D) nowhere in the description does it actually say it's original!!!!!

Some people just need to get burned a few times before they wise up. Unfortunately, Ebay will never do anything to protect these foolhardy buyers.

Tim
            "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

Unfortunately, Ebay will never do anything to protect these foolhardy buyers.
              And neither should it, in all fairness, its "Buyer Beware", remember? If they are dumb enough to bid on a Latvian cross, they deserve one.

Comment

Vadim,

I see your point, but it's human nature to try and help the weak and pass wisdom gained by years of experience to those who are younger and need help.

On the other hand, it's also human nature to see someone get killed and say "I'm sure glad it was him and not me."

Let's be thankful we are smarter than the fakers - this time, anyway.

Tim
                "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

E/bay Knights Cross

I was wrong there's only five bidders, up to $400.00. I believe thats the reserve. Looks like the bidder is new or name change.

Comment

E/Bay Knights Cross

This is on E/Bay

#2183193629 gERMAN cROSS IN gOLD $750.00 17 BIDS
                    #2183627655 kNIGHTS cROSS $30.00 1 BID
                    #2183997366 kNIGHTS cROSS $351.00 17 BIDS
                    #eki dOUBLE MARKER $200.00
                    #2183743662 rEPO kNIGHTS Cross $260.00 16 bids
                    #2184310732 #WWII Oal Leaves tpRK 49.00
                    #2184337165 Knights Cross W/O/S/D
                    #21842811046 U/Boat Badge with diamonds $113.00 no reserve met 4 bids

This stuff is on E/Bay. You can practice your experience. Maybe one of these are good. FAKES FAKES

Comment

eBay.

It does remind one of Gunnery Sgt. Hartmann's line from Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket".....at the start when he asks "Private Cowboy" what height he is ...."Hell I didn't know they stacked........ that high"

eBay may never cease to amaze but the bottom line its escape line is buyer beware , I am not repeat not an expert , there is no way in this wide world that I would consider myself to be one.
                      Set me down a real and a good fake and I would be lost.....no way would I buy anything like this from an on line sale ........only a good dealer.
                      eBay when it comes to good like this is a bit like "Arthur Daley's used car lot and lock up " ( I am really sorry that most U.S. users will not know the great Arthur daley from the U.K. T.V. series "Minder".....a man who could sell sand to Arabs and a used Capri to a man who has no driving licence.)

eBay are quite happy to allow sales of this kind because they get paid no matter what , read what you like into that for them as a sales body I have no respect when it comes to people getting hung out to dry.
                      Trying to get ebay to disallow these closed sales is a bit like

If I was ever going to buy outside one or two respected dealers who support this site I would most definately be asking for
                      Whole ebay set up , private sales , changing I.D's., multiple I.D's. safe is not a word i would use to describe it all , my opinion for what little its worth but it makes me

Comment

E/Bay

I E/mailed a dealer asking info on a British medal warning him of the many fakes. He then asked me how to tell a fake British Star. I asuming he was honestly asking for info told him what I would look for in a fake. He thanked me and changed his description saying that an e/Bayer had told him how to tell if the medal was original and this fitted the description. He says its real on my info. I also told him you would have to have the medal in your hand to really appraise it. Is he screwing me?? or trying to get me to purchase item. There is, I know, the odd bargain on E/Bay but they are few and far between. Anyway it was a Aircrew Europe, very hard to get and one of the most faked WWII Stars. I would look like an A---hole if I bid on it now and it was fake. I think I screwed myself He has changed the description and put a reserve bid on it. It may have been a real Aircrew Europe and maybe bought at a bargain. Live & learn
                        KEEP MY BIG MOUTH SHUT
                        Last edited by Ed Tainton; 07-19-2003, 06:09 PM.

Comment

With respect to Ebay, or any auction, sanctioning sellers of fakes - just how could they do it?? Think about it: Seller sells fake to buyer who thinks it authentic. Buyer learns it a fake (maybe) and complains to auction. Auction contacts seller. Seller says it's authentic. What now?? Do you conduct a mini-trial with each side presenting evidence to back their claim? A seller of fakes can always find some "authority" to say it's original. There is also the original pieces which some will call fake. It would turn into a rather messy situation. The auction would have to have another level of bureaucracy just to handle and adjudicate these disputes.

In short, it really wouldn't be practical for an auction to "protect" buyers from fakes or punish sellers of them. Especially when you think of all the different collectable catagories there are (militaria, toys, postcards, thimbles, spoons, police/fire badges, vintage clothes, etc.) and the sheer volume these auctions handle. Face it. Auctions are one of the last bastions of pure capitalism. Caveat emptor.

Just some thoughts --

ss
                          ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Cavaet Emptor !

Ebay's get out of jail free card.
                            They will get paid whatever happens so they are in a win /win situation , why change a good thing ...they are only interested in making money ...a safe trading area only if you know what you are looking for and can be sure what you bid on is what you get.
                            If you bid on something which looks real and answers the description of what is real what do you do if you get a fake ?
                            Ebay may act then , but its a hard thing to chase up.
                            In fairness its imposible for them to check everything civen the size of their operation.
                            Much better that they say to sellers .
                            1. You can sell if you give us a 110% copper plated say that its real. Forget the " believed" to be approach or in the caase of this "RK" he at no time says its real or made pre May 1945.
                            Its so much buyer beware.
                            2. If the item is not as described or not the item seen on the site , or proves to be a fake money back.
                            3. If no money back lifetime ban with no court of appeal , and no change of i.D. or second trade name as can be done on eBy ....I have seen suspended sellers still buying and selling away.
                            Safe ....I doubt it !

Talking to eBay or questioning them on what may not be safe is like
                            against a brickwall for you get no and I give a to any attempts I have had with them.
                            When I was conned out of a small amount of money they said they would co-operate fully if I went to the police.
                            For the sum involved it was not worth it and how would the local police get on the job , seller was suspended and they would tell me if it was my complaint which suspended them.
                            In short useless.
                            As Steve posted

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X