Iron Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron Cross

I hope you guys can help me with a few guestions. I was given an iron cross today. Its a ww2 cross with a ww1 ribbon on it. Is there any reason it would be like that other than the original ribbon was lost and replaced by someone that didn't know the difference?
    What woulld it be worth and is there any place to find an original ww2 ribbon for it. It was given to me by a ww2 German vet, I told him I would find out it's value and give him a fair price for it. Thanks Ron. Forgot to mention it's a second class in nice shape,it has a very small 65 on the ring.
    Last edited by ron loerzel; 12-31-2007, 12:04 AM. Reason: for got some info

The 65 means that it is a Klein & Quenzer A.G. Idar/Oberstein; considered by many to be one of the most attractive designs of the EK2s. The most obvious reason for it to have a WWI ribbon would be that the vet served in both World Wars; however, this seems unlikely since the vet is still alive.

These is go from about $85 to about $150 these days. I'm not sure if the WWI ribbon would deduct or add to the value, since it is not original to the cross, but it is original and pre-dates the piece.

Comment

Originally posted by MauserKar98k View Post
      ......The most obvious reason for it to have a WWI ribbon would be that the vet served in both World Wars; however, this seems unlikely since the vet is still alive...
      Really? How would that be? He wouldn't get an EK2 from WW2 if he recieved one in WW1. However, he may have received an EK2 Spange from WW2 that would have a WW1 Ribbon as a backdrop.

I'd say the original ribbon was lost and someone that didn't know any better put a WW1 one on. That's my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
        Really? How would that be? He wouldn't get an EK2 from WW2 if he recieved one in WW1. However, he may have received an EK2 Spange from WW2 that would have a WW1 Ribbon as a backdrop.

I'd say the original ribbon was lost and someone that didn't know any better put a WW1 one on. That's my guess.
        I was just speculating. You would know better than me Darrell.

Comment

The price range quoted - $85 to $150 - is about right. To narrow it down, pictures would be needed.

best
          Hank
          Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
          ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by MauserKar98k View Post
            I was just speculating. You would know better than me Darrell.
            IN this hobby ANYTHING is possible. After all .... who really knows what happened or where items came from

Comment

I agree with what is already said by the other members in this thread! Good pictures of the cross would be nice!

Concerning the ribbon, it should be quite easy to find an original one for a fair price on e-stand (search for EK ribbons)

Comment

pics of Iron Cross 2nd class

If you click on the link below, you'll see some pics of the medal I wrote about in my earlier post. How long should the original ribbon be for it? Is that a WWI iron cross ribbon? Thanks, Ron

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...n%20cross%202/

Comment

Originally posted by ron loerzel View Post
                  If you click on the link below, you'll see some pics of the medal I wrote about in my earlier post. How long should the original ribbon be for it? Is that a WWI iron cross ribbon? Thanks, Ron

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...n%20cross%202/
                  That's a normal length. Sometimes they are a little longer, sometimes not. And yes .. it is a WW1 ribbon

Comment

iron cross

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it, I think I'm on my way to being a medal collector.

Comment

Originally posted by ron loerzel View Post
                      Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it, I think I'm on my way to being a medal collector.
                      No problem. We all started some place. Usually small dollars ... then larger items and better condition.

Finally we are mortgaging our houses and divorcing our spouses ... but like I've said before ... this hobby is NOT addictive

Seriously ... use this forum well ... post pictures of items BEFORE you buy. There is a WEALTH of knowledge here in the different areas. Your hard earned money needs to be spent on REAL and AUTHENTIC items. Don't let the crooks take your money. Let the honest Good Guys do that

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                        No problem. We all started some place. Usually small dollars ... then larger items and better condition.

Finally we are mortgaging our houses and divorcing our spouses ... but like I've said before ... this hobby is NOT addictive

Seriously ... use this forum well ... post pictures of items BEFORE you buy. There is a WEALTH of knowledge here in the different areas. Your hard earned money needs to be spent on REAL and AUTHENTIC items. Don't let the crooks take your money. Let the honest Good Guys do that
                        Exactly. Well said!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X