Brass Centered EK1, from submariner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brass Centered EK1, from submariner

Hello all. Just thought I'd toss this out to the forum and see what your thoughts might be regarding a piece in my possession. I acquired an EK1 several years ago from a now deceased friend who got it in the late '50s from a German Submariner, who spent a couple years during the latter half of WWII in a Canadian POW camp. After the war, he came down to the states and ended up dating my friends' (now deceased) aunt. During this time, he gave my friend, a young boy at the time, and fascinated with all things military, his cased EK1, which he'd managed to keep all during his interment. Now, I've heard from several sources that these EK's with centers made of materials other than iron were simply manufacturers variations (deviations from the requirements set down by the L.D.O.) while other arguments state that these were supposedly meant for maritime personnel (to inhibit rust while they were being worn). I'm of the opinion that the former (mfg. variations) is true. I'm curious to know what folks on this forum might have to say.

Originally posted by Milton View Post
    ... I'm of the opinion that the former (mfg. variations) is true...
    Correct. Do you have photos? Is it a brass looking or a copper looking core? Did you check the core to see if it is magnetic?

Comment

The use of brass for the cores of EKI's dated to the early war period when regulations for iron cores were not in effect as yet. The new regs prohibited the use of any metal other than iron.

Robert

Comment

Thanks gents. I don't have any pictures handy, but I've held a magnet up to it to absolutely no effect. The paint is flaked off in a couple of very small areas, and a bit around the contours of the Hakenkreuz from simple wear. The underlying base metal is very dull, and appears to be a tarnished brass or some other non-ferrous metal, but it's very difficult to discern from such a small area. The cross shows honest wear, but no abuse, however it is utterly NON magnetic. Thanks for your input!

Comment

It sounds like a brass core. Some of the early cores were copper over iron, which would be magnetic. We'd love to see a photo of it. It sounds like a very nice cross.

Myths still hold that brass was used in naval EKI's as to not disturb the very sensitive intruments in the sea vessels (iron-cored EKI's in wear being in close proximity to ship's instruments). But, speaking with many German authorities, this myth has been dispelled. In all reality the brass-cored crosses indicate early war period, nothing more.

Robert

Comment

Thanks Robert, that's been my assumption also all along. I owned this piece for several years before it dawned on me to actually test it w/ a magnet. If I can get a web host set up somewhere I'd be glad to share a photo of it w/ you, but can't apparently upload any images here. Happy New Year!

Comment

Originally posted by Milton View Post
              Thanks Robert, that's been my assumption also all along. I owned this piece for several years before it dawned on me to actually test it w/ a magnet. If I can get a web host set up somewhere I'd be glad to share a photo of it w/ you, but can't apparently upload any images here. Happy New Year!
              I'd be happy to post them for you. rcpljp@aol.com

Robert

Comment

KM Crosses

I continue to be of the opinion (being an ex mariner myself) that brass (or non ferrous) awards would have been an obvious choice for KM recipients for service wear....who needs a lump of iron on your person when taking a bearing with a magnetic compass (?)
                That this award was the one worn on the sub would be perfectly logical (to me anyway)

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Jenkins View Post
                  I continue to be of the opinion (being an ex mariner myself) that brass (or non ferrous) awards would have been an obvious choice for KM recipients for service wear....who needs a lump of iron on your person when taking a bearing with a magnetic compass (?)
                  That this award was the one worn on the sub would be perfectly logical (to me anyway)
                  It sounds logical, but unfortunately there are no records that back this theory up. So, it remains a myth, supported by ex-mariners. The army wore steel helmets and iron crosses, and took magnetic readings just fine.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                    It sounds logical, but unfortunately there are no records that back this theory up. So, it remains a myth, supported by ex-mariners. The army wore steel helmets and iron crosses, and took magnetic readings just fine.

Robert
                    ...yea, doesnt surprise me of the army !.....

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Jenkins View Post
                      They did not use magnetic compasses.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking View Post
                        They did not use magnetic compasses.

Peter
                        Peter,

To inquire, how did their compasses function if not magnetic? My ignorance goes before me.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                          Peter,

To inquire, how did their compasses function if not magnetic? My ignorance goes before me.

Robert
                          They used Gyro compasses, driven by electricity. An invention that is roughly 100 years old. Some claim it was an American that invented it. Other claim it was a German.

You can have as many iron crosses as you want as the gyro compass is not affected by this.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking View Post
                            They used Gyro compasses, driven by electricity. An invention that is roughly 100 years old. Some claim it was an American that invented it. Other claim it was a German.

You can have as many iron crosses as you want as the gyro compass is not affected by this.

Peter
                            Thank you, Peter. Something new to me. Thanks for explaining.

Wear more than one EKI? I've never seen this.

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X