Maker on frosty unmarked KVK 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maker on frosty unmarked KVK 1

I got this cross some time ago from a reputable dealer with a lifetime guaranty of authenticity. I just had the chance to photograph it for your opinions. If I haven't been completely swindled, any chance on finding out the maker? Thanks!

Josh
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Josh B.; 12-27-2007, 09:29 PM.

back
    Attached Files

Comment

catch attached to elevated plate integral to front of cross
      Attached Files

Comment

top view of pin/hinge assembly
        Attached Files

Comment

anyone????

Comment

As you may have guessed by now this is not a textbook example.

The obverse looks ok but the reverse has imo some problems. The hinge and pin could be mm50 Karl Gschiermeister but the catch and the round plate under does not.

In short I can't place this cross to any maker known to me. On the other hand the fake files turned up nothing, so maybe there's still hope?

Comment

I can only agree with Frank on this one.
              George

Comment

Thanks, George and Frank, for your comments. So I guess if you were me, you'd be asking for a refund now, right?

I've had such good luck in the past... I guess that's what I get for collecting medals 'on the side' w/o many books on the subject. But they're so 'cheap' when compared to the daggers I need to round out my collection. Is there a really good, comprehensive medals book out there that I should own? How about one on KVKs? I have one of the Forman's guides and another that is a smaller paperback book, but I can't remember the author's name on. I really haven't run into many other books on the subject at shows, etc...

Best,
                Josh

Comment

Hi Josh,
                  It might be your pics but for such a nice frosty example I would be concerned about the overall quality of the medal. The features look a little soft or blurred and the edges don't seem as crisp as I would like on a 'mint' example.

Comment

There's a KVK book in the works from Bender Publishing that should be a great assist to the collector, but I don't know when it's coming out.
                    In the meantime, if you feel bad about this piece I would send it back. You can always get a "sure thing" later.
                    George

Comment

Gordon Williamson is doing the book about KVK's and it's been on its way for literally years by now.

The book has been finished for some time now and delivered for publishing but what keeps Bender from publishing it, don't know

Otherwise I agree with George. If possible return the cross and buy another one instead of.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X