• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Comment

wow

Comment

Realy nice EK1 indeed - Robert .
        I would have joined in earlier , but my notifications were messed up . The 6. Zimmerman EK2 is quit interesting indeed . The re-worked crosses seam to be all unmarked .
        Regardless to that 6. EK2s are found with both cores . The thin date core to me is the first original Zimmerman core and as the other core is a S&L 2nd core typ .
        A quick question thrown in here ; Dave's 2 and Steiner's shown EK2 , > are yours magnetic cores .\??/ I am hoping some would have zink cores , lets see .
        I do have a mid/late war unmarked Zimmerman as well . I only came across the re-worked die accidently while working on another project .
        Steinar : thanks for the pictures : perfect view - post 30 - I was hoping for . I will need to refer to that picture later for very specific and surprizing details . The wear on the Swastika arm tips and the surface on the date show alot of die wear . You say the cross was cleaned , does not appear to be ? Mine looks very simmilar . The green surface bleading on yours normal for the time frame of production .
        Curious on post 30 about the bottom left arm bead step 'blob' , that shows up at that angle . Are(or were) all corners like that or can you tell if any bead corners have been 'scraped' down ? Magnifier needed .The seam of both halfs> are they a fine line or is solder visualble . And last - is anywhere seperation of the halfs starting ?
        Here is mine, very Nickly brite with dark spotting from surface oxidize accumilated Copper compound .

Regards Douglas
        Attached Files

Comment

From the closeup I could make .... both crosses Dave has are both reworked frame dies with different cores .
          The change in bead angle and the existance of a lower part bead in that spot are the first place to look . > As circled in red . Magnification will show a hole lot more surprizes !
          Douglas
          Attached Files

Comment

Both cores on mine are magnetic Douglas.

Dave

Comment

Another comparison - Dave's frames match .
              Thanks Dave , yours I thought were magnetic , lets see what Steinar has .
              Do you see the fine half bead ?
              Douglas
              Attached Files

Comment

Now for the close up and revealing pictures !
                It is an exceptional cross to see the following features on . I happen to have a real crisp re-worked frame strike with very little wear to the beading !
                Most have more wear and the old bead features will be harder to see . So all that have a 6. should take a magnified look at their crosses ! You will be surprized what you see .
                I pulled up some pictures of mine , not the best quality but good enough .
                Dark blotches and shows very nicely the new added 'bead crown' on top of the old one . Had to change angle a few times to catch this fine detail .

Douglas
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
                  Realy nice EK1 indeed - Robert .
                  I would have joined in earlier , but my notifications were messed up . The 6. Zimmerman EK2 is quit interesting indeed . The re-worked crosses seam to be all unmarked .
                  Regardless to that 6. EK2s are found with both cores . The thin date core to me is the first original Zimmerman core and as the other core is a S&L 2nd core typ .
                  A quick question thrown in here ; Dave's 2 and Steiner's shown EK2 , > are yours magnetic cores .\??/ I am hoping some would have zink cores , lets see .
                  I do have a mid/late war unmarked Zimmerman as well . I only came across the re-worked die accidently while working on another project .
                  Steinar : thanks for the pictures : perfect view - post 30 - I was hoping for . I will need to refer to that picture later for very specific and surprizing details . The wear on the Swastika arm tips and the surface on the date show alot of die wear . You say the cross was cleaned , does not appear to be ? Mine looks very simmilar . The green surface bleading on yours normal for the time frame of production .
                  Curious on post 30 about the bottom left arm bead step 'blob' , that shows up at that angle . Are(or were) all corners like that or can you tell if any bead corners have been 'scraped' down ? Magnifier needed .The seam of both halfs> are they a fine line or is solder visualble . And last - is anywhere seperation of the halfs starting ?
                  Here is mine, very Nickly brite with dark spotting from surface oxidize accumilated Copper compound .

Regards Douglas
                  Douglas,

You're saying the thin date core is the 1st original Zimmermann core. I thought this thin date core was in the reworked frames. Here's my '6'-marked cross is on the left, and reworked cross with the thin date to the right. And, the cross to the left has the 2nd type S&L core, and not Zimmermann?

Robert
                  Attached Files

Comment

Now the same picture with features of interest marked out .
                    The 'added on' new crown most noticeable in this corner . The transition from the old crown very poor done and probably touched up as this feature on other shown here is not noticeable . Magnify your crosses gentlemen !
                    A lot of information here that this cross is showing us for the last 60+ years !!!
                    The blue lines show the presents of the original beading , white the new crown line .

Douglas
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yes Robert , .. spent a lot of time going over the core , the left has a S&L core .
                      Because of the different cores when I first saw this post- I started to look for a match and identified that S&L had to cores and that this was the 2nd or later core S&L used . ... Do all of yours magnic cores ?

Douglas

Comment

Very interesting Douglas,

Yes, all magnetic.

Here I show your 2nd type S&L photo on the left, and my '6'-marked Zimmermann to the right. In your opinion are they the same cores, as stated above? I see differences, especially in the top of the '3'...

Robert
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yes they are the same . Light and shadows angles distort view .
                          Many features that match . Working on a picture , slow at these things .
                          Douglas

Comment

To me the swasis look different also...the Zimmermann is not as tall as the S&L, and has some symetrical differences.

Robert
                            Attached Files

Comment

Date comparison .
                              Attached Files

Comment

I do see a difference ;
                                The S&L has sharper top corners as the one (6) on the right has a lot of arm corner wear - rounded . The strike it not as deep as pointed out - more top surface .
                                Douglas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X