My Deschler EK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Deschler EK1

Just recieved this the day after getting my Deschler EK2. It's a maker marked 1 EK1. This is the first one of these that I've seen and I must say, this is one meaty cross! What a unique and great looking maker. I'm really happy to have been able to add this one to my collection. I don't believe they are that easy to come by either. This one is in decent condition.
    Attached Files

Here's the rear showing the 1 maker mark. These have a fairly short pin. What does everyone think?
    Attached Files

Comment

Looking good!

Hi Steve,

Another nice addition to your collection. Well done.

They are indeed a well built cross. I have never weighed mine but it too is substantially heavier that all others that I have.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
        Hi Steve,

Another nice addition to your collection. Well done.

They are indeed a well built cross. I have never weighed mine but it too is substantially heavier that all others that I have.

Regards,
        Stu

Thanks Stu. The collection is advancing. These really are chunky crosses aren't they. Makes you want more than one.

Comment

I sure want one now
          So they didn't make alot of '1's ?

Comment

Originally posted by xerox_ View Post
            I sure want one now
            So they didn't make alot of '1's ?

I'm not sure what the actual numbers are. I wouldn't say they are rare, but you don't see them pop up as much as some makers, and they do seem sought after. I'd say the second class marked one is harder to come across than the first class.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Campell View Post
              [...]I must say, this is one meaty cross! What a unique and great looking maker. I'm really happy to have been able to add this one to my collection.
              Hi!

You found the best words for this outstanding crosses by Deschler. Your's is a gread example. Sometimes they used the same reverse setup with the short pin like on the war merit crosses. One can see that because of the pins different shape.

A few weeks ago i got a L/10 marked EK 1 by Deschler. As i hold the cross the first time in my hands it was nearly the same feeling which I had as I got my first EK 1 many years ago.
              The Deschler Crosses are really unique and manufactured in very high quality craftmanship.
              It's larger and heavier than all crosses which I ever had or have held in my hands.

My piece is slightly vaulted what is a rare in combo with LDO marking. All other L/10 marked pieces i saw (maybe 3 or 4) are absolutelly flat.

Like Steve i'm happy that I could catch this piece for my collection and i'm sure this will not be the last cross of Deschler which found me.

Regards
              Andreas

The data:
              • Iron Cross 1. Class marked L/10 (Deschler&Sohn in Muenchen)
              • High: 45,05 mm
              • Width: 45,25 mm
              • Weight: 24,6 Gramm

Unfortunately the pictures are not the best.

Last edited by Paratrooper; 11-29-2007, 09:18 AM. Reason: correcting

Comment

envy

I am green with envy! The only affordable Deschler I am missing is the EK1.
                Steve Mezey
                Nice crosses guys
                Last edited by Steve Mezey; 11-29-2007, 07:50 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Thanks guys. Andreas, that was some good information. I had never really thought about LDO marked versions. Another one to the list. Is there a screwback version? So why are Junkers going for so much more? They can't be any nicer than these Deschlers?

Comment

I have a screwback Deschler marked L/10. Love it. It is one of my favorite '39 EKIs.

Tony
                    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

nice cross. i have a deschler marked 1 and it is also slightly vaulted.

tony

Comment

A very nice find, Steve! You've broken the record I believe finding a 1st and 2nd class Deschler in the same week! I love this particular EKI because of the nice patina the cross displays. I've been starting to collect the harder to find EKI's myself, and been very pleased to find them in their 'vintage dress'. You're found a wonderful piece, and we're all very jealous.

Robert

Comment

yes we are jealous

Comment

Thanks everyone. I was blown away by this piece. All these comments make the fact that I'm eating in soup kitchens now all the easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Campell View Post
                              So why are Junkers going for so much more? They can't be any nicer than these Deschlers?
                              Hi Steve!

Only because of the "Juncker Myth". In reality Juncker crosses are not something really special. The quality is good but not as high as the quality from crosses by Zimermann/Godet or Deschler & Sohn for example. Juncker pieces are much more easyer to find than many other makers pieces.

The asking price on the marked has nearly nothing to do with rarity or quality and i think this is a well known fact. It's only a question of fairy tales told for making more money with the maximum profit rate.

One could discus a lot of time about that illogical that circumstances but nothing will change. In the end i'm happy that the much more rarer and nicer Deschler crosses are cheaper than the Juncker crosses.

Regards
                              Andreas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X