Ek2 Mm 84 Fake Or?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ek2 Mm 84 Fake Or?

I checked out two threads on WA about these EK2s with the MM 84 and, although both seemed inconclusive, the feeling I got is that these are contemporary fakes. The ring is stamped on both sides 84. What is the final word? Thanks in advance, Ausgang
    Attached Files

obverse
    Attached Files

Comment

reverse
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm not real impressed with the (lack of) quality on the beading, and the "3" in 1939 isn't looking promising.

best
        Hank
        Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
        ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

I think it's a fake...why has the core stamped a 1939, and not a 1813? The swas seems too "fat"...maybe a Floch?

Comment

According to the list of EKII makers, Carl Poellath '84' never made them. This piece is obviously a fake, IMO. (2) 1939's?

Robert
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to all of the responders. Sure appreciate it! Ausgang

Comment

Originally posted by Hynkel View Post
                ...why has the core stamped a 1939, and not a 1813?
                I wish all EK II fakes had the same distinctive feature.
                The number design looks like a floch.

Regards

Grueni
                Regards
                Daniel

Search:
                !!! all awards with [L/15] mark !!!
                Otto Schickle
                All early 57er pieces

Comment

Originally posted by grueni1208 View Post
                  I wish all EK II fakes had the same distinctive feature.
                  The number design looks like a floch.

Regards

Grueni
                  That would make things a lot easier. It's a bloomin' fake, it 'tis.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Hynkel View Post
                    I think it's a fake...why has the core stamped a 1939, and not a 1813? The swas seems too "fat"...maybe a Floch?
                    ...and the new guy has us all going "D'OH!" and slapping our foreheads...1939 front AND back? Not likely. F-F-F-Faaaaaaaaake!

best
                    Hank
                    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Well - very interesting indeed guys ; would like to see it in hand to be able to say without a doubt, ....it is most likely a post war production due to the refurbishing technique and the 2 paints , the closed 4 , the partial maker identification , the fat beading with shallow valleys and the incorrect 1939 reverse date that were used ???

And now for the unexpected surprise - gentlemen !
                      Who ever did this , attempted to make it look like a real EK2 by refurbishing an original frame die . The core , I have not found anything matching .

Thanks again to Robert for one of his previous detailed pictures , which is of use here again .
                      This frame has matching flaws and marks - to Robert's ! Only used one major frame and 2 bead flaws , there are other finer ones on the frame .

The original frame die is a 23 !
                      Picture comparison show the matching flaws .
                      23 did work for other makers , .. is it certain 84 did not make any EK2's , or could it be a rejected periode core variant ???? Just a thought .

Regards , Douglas
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Douglas 5; 11-26-2007, 01:58 AM.

Comment

I'd like to have it in my hand too, Douglas. Maybe you can count better than I, but I count a different numbers of beads on the bottom of the 6:00 arm on cross #1 and cross #2. Please check and see what you come up with.

Robert

Comment

Well Robert the bead count matches , but that is not the problem !!!!!!

The problem is that pic 2 and 3 are the same frame side with the swastika colored out . Looks like some one has tampered with the picture .
                          All frame white and dark spots are the same on both sides .
                          The white spot under the 1 matches so does the thin white lines above 39 !!!!
                          Right arm on the inside bead , a slip with the paintbrush !!!

Ausgang , do you have this cross or only the pictures ?????

Douglas

Comment

Those are the only photos that I was sent. After posting, I realized that the photo of the reverse is just a denazified photo of the obverse. Pretty dumb of me not to examine the photo more closely! I may be a FNG but that should have made me wonder. I'm steering clear of the whole deal, too screwy. Stamped 84 means fake to me now...
                            Last edited by AUSGANG; 11-26-2007, 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

This just in from the seller in regards to my decalration that this cross is fake:

Are you sure, because I had a very respected dealer look at this one, and she said it was authentic.

This was her report:

"Iron Cross 2nd Class stamped 84 (Carl Pellath):
                              This EK is definitely authentic, and by a fairly rare maker. I'd value it at $150 retail considering the shortened and soiled ribbon.....which is not unusual but it does hurt the value a little. Let me know if you're willing to sell it. I usually only offer wholesale which is 50% of retail in the world of antiques, but I'd be willing to give back the $100 MO if you'll agree to sell it."
                              Last edited by AUSGANG; 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X