Loose EK2 Core Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose EK2 Core Question

Okay, I have already done some research on the forum related to my initial questions and found an answer to one of them. I found out that it is not unusual for the iron core in an EK2 to be loose and able to slide somewhat in the frame. However, I am also curious about some other things I was not able to answer with a WAF search.

What causes this "looseness" to develop? I am assuming that the the iron core was originally held in place by its original tight fit within the frame. I am also assuming that, over time, this tight fit can be lost, as the metal may expand and/or change shape. Am I correct about any of this? Or, was the core perhaps held in place by soldering which can become broken over time?

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this loose core problem from occuring, or is it just the unavoidable possible effects upon things this old. The EK2 I have with the loose core is one that is definitely original. The loose core is something I noticed just recently. It has never been stored under any unusual conditions. The temperatures in its environment do not fluctuate to any great or sudden extremes, and the humidity levels are within the range that does not promote rust--if any of that really relates to this issue anyway.

I am also assuming that once a core is loose, it should be left alone, and there is nothing reasonable that can or should be done to correct it.

Finally, is this loose core problem also encountered on EK1's, or does their different construction prevent that?

Thanks,

Chris
    Last edited by Stahlhelm; 10-27-2007, 04:29 PM.

IMO a question of tolerances. I have several unworn examples that are loose. Those mm40 are the loosest of any of mine. Never had a loose ek1.

Comment

FW 200,

Since it appears that no one else will reply to my question, and it is about to slip off into the graveyard of dead threads, I wanted to go ahead and thank you for your response.

I always attempt to help anyone I can, with as much information as I know, whenever possible, even when I have to spend extra time doing it. So, I do greatly appreciate your response to my question.

Thanks again,

Chris

Comment

Chris
        There is nothing wrong with a EK2 with a loose core. Some are like this from the producer.

Peter

Comment

Thanks, Peter!

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X