Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evolution of the Juncker EK die :

Hi all ;
    I am taken a stab at this mysterious conglomerate of Juncker core and frame variations mainly pertaining EK2's . But parallels to EK1's would be similar .
    Just in the last 2 weeks I have come in possession of an very interesting earliest Juncker EK2 , which has lead to this .
    I am slow in posting this so if I could ask for patience on replies , and to wait until I have post all 25 pictures or so , which may take an hour or 2 .
    Thanks .

1) Juncker is known for quality and precision workmanship , ... to which the Spanish Cross and Juncker Luftbadges will attest to , just to name some .
    The company had prided itself in this and is common knowledge .

Well , even Juncker was not perfect as I have discovered , and it is this one problem I now know of now , that the company tried to keep well hidden as not to tarnish their reputation . Be that they may have picked up on this problem very quickly and or detroyed damaged stock , so the existance of these flawed pieces are very rare to find to say the least .

2) Juncker had from the start an early die problem .
    To me this is the bases of the multitude of cores and frames .

3) Before going further I shall introduce my -initial run- all hand finished Juncker EK2 : It shows the different stages of early hand finishing .
    Stages ; Nickel -silver frame , lose core, magnetic , silver plated and lacquered , and > Hand brush applied frosting acid and added domed paint to the swastika and date .
    On this Juncker EK2 the jump ring and ribbon ring are solid nickel and not plated brass which may be a surprise to some .
    The pictures.
    Attached Files

Pic 2 back
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3
      The hand applied frosting acid , ... against the beading creating missed wedges and so , some spot touches on the frame . Rainbow silver under die strips of lacquer show this , so not the dip process .
      Attached Files

Comment

With Ben's Bijkers permission , many thanks to him > this comparison would not be possible , ... his also early EK2 , but from production finishing , made after mine , do to the frosting dip process , otherwise the same and look like twins .
        And then they both harbor an interesting secret .
        Attached Files

Comment

The date and his core , straight frosting line and no extra added paint to swastika and date .
          Attached Files

Comment

By this time every one wondering what this is leading up to .
            I hope to show the proof for the existence of 2 Juncker made and used EK 2 cores and a reason why cores were contracted out to W&L , that Juncker used .
            The die flaws :
            First the front of mine , the flaw is small yet, so one may not see it at first .
            Attached Files

Comment

At the same time going over the characteristics and flaw of the 'First Juncker Core' by using the date only as there are some minor differences in the swastika too , better pictures needed for that and not important for now .
              The white lines are for orientation of Juncker unique features on how to identify the first core , important as W&L core is very close , shown later.
              A very early example is so important in this case , sharp crisp like die strike , no wear or rust etc to obscure the differences .
              Being this early production this has be a true frame and core . without this a guessing game as has been so far .
              Features : Flat bottoms in the tops of the 9s .
              This early core has a fat short and parallel edge top on the 3 , no hook at all .
              Notice the thickest part of the 9's is not in the middle but higher , in the top third !
              And the bottom loops join or enter the 'balls' just about in the middle !
              Yes the yellow mark is the location of my front die flaw .
              Of interest is the form and features of the upstroke and the foot on the 'ONE' .
              They have absolutely no flat top surface ', they are sharp !!!
              This is the contributing reason the flaws are starting here !
              Attached Files

Comment

My early EK2 back side , ... the side of massive die cracks , shown without being marked .
                Attached Files

Comment

Problems marked out in yellow .Chips and cracks are many . The cross-over on the 8 is very fat . As on the front the ones have sharp edged upstrokes and feet . Massive crack between first 1 and 8 is half the length of th 8 and sticks out high than the 8 !!!
                  Must have been one of the last crosses with the first core front and back .
                  Blue lines indicate that the edges of where the flanges meet the base are all in line and not the top edges of the numbers .
                  Attached Files

Comment

Once again the later of the early EK2;s Bens cross . front first core ..
                    Growing blob from a crack beside the 1 .
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry this is going so slow .

Bens EK2 has now the 2nd core reverse with the first core front .
                      The back of his is flawless!!!!!! And made after mine , with the front flaw growing and at some stage is replaced too . An exemplary piece showing both core types mixed . A true progression of the die problem , a serious problem .
                      Not .....my early EK2 made in 39 and Bens in 40 . Far to early for any normal die ware , ... well this rendered the core useless very quick , orders to be filled .
                      If Juncker stopped EK2's suddenly , word would have gotten out fast , so continue on as nothing was wrong . Juncker went out side and bought cores , ... W&L cores .
                      I assotiate this serve and sudden die failure to Juncker buying from others .
                      They did it with the EK2 , so why not mixed parts for EK1's .

The new back or 2nd core has these new features compared to the first reverse .
                      1's >now have upstroke and foot surfaces , top of 3 is longer ,and thinner and a bit of a hook at the tip , non intentional, just a new design visual side affect , attributed to new vertical tip - side flange ! Depending how the light hits it , it is the sharp flangs edge runing down to the base .The 8 cross over is thinner and a new ball on the 3 , a tip mounted ball that almost touches the centre of the 3 .!
                      Attached Files

Comment

4)Association between Juncker and W&L grows as W&L helped Juncker in the pinch . Taking this further , ... ties are such that Juncker sell frames to W&L .
                        Bold statement ; first to bring this up . I have both crosses and many hours comparing them , the hump is identical !
                        I based this on the frame flaw that both Juncker and W&L show !
                        One take these two crosses : Frame hump is the same size . W&L left -mid period and early Juncker right .
                        The misalignment is like a DNA print . Junker in the manufacturing of their frame punch cutter placed the 'hump' just off center . So when placing the frame halfs together some can and some cannot get placed matching , doubling up the error !
                        The right side overlap one can see on both crosses below ..
                        Attached Files

Comment

The hump may be the same in position and size , but nothing else .
                          The 2 dates side by side for viewing .
                          Attached Files

Comment

Features pulled out showing differences :
                            Juncker on top W&L on the bottom .

The one is short on both and a bit more blunt on the W&L .
                            Shape of the top of the 3 and location of the 'thick' spot on the front of the 9's .
                            See it is the unfinished picture . Arrows missing . will add verbaly .
                            Also the gap between the 1 and 9 is almost non existant ,
                            Slit eye 9's , Top of the 3 is different ... Balls are attached to the curved bottoms on the far left , hard to see. Distinct however is the ball of the last 9 , it has a flat top !!
                            Attached Files

Comment

W&L does have their own frame with a much wider hump .
                              The I see this in Ben,s 2nd EK2 with the Juncker core . W&l frame with no cruched bead or crosshatching , a variation combo .
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X