demjanskbattlefield

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how two prevent your badge's getting dark?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how two prevent your badge's getting dark?????

hello, i have a nice group of ek's some are mint. but the are getting dark can somebody tell me what i can do about it please

Originally posted by basmo View Post
    hello, i have a nice group of ek's some are mint. but the are getting dark can somebody tell me what i can do about it please
    The best way to preserve the 'shine' on EKI's is to store them in a near air-tight environment (safe), and add dehumidifying gel sacks/bags. Ever so often take these bags out and 'cook' them in the over to remove moisture (humidity) from them, them place back in the safe again with the crosses. If you live in a humid environment, DON'T display them out in the open with their lids open. You're asking for ageing to occur like this.

Robert

Comment

Causes:
      1. Someone have polished and cleaned the crosses before being presented to you, and now the metal in them is returning to its natural state.
      2. You have a environment problem. Any cross you buy might tarnish.

Remedy:
      Follow Roberts advice.

Peter

Comment

thanks guys i think i wil try that. i don't like two see my crosses getting black. that's a wast. i display them in a glass box but not air taid. and its always warm here. some are in the case and not getting black. so maybee that's a idee. sorry for mij bad englisch

Comment

Originally posted by basmo View Post
          First, YOU must define what you call "Mint". If the crosses were MINT, they would have that silver polish on the frames that does not tarnish unless it cracks and falls off.

If MINT means they have perfect paint and aged look, darkening is called "patina" and many collectors love this look and would cringe at the thought of cleaning this off a cross.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
            First, YOU must define what you call "Mint". If the crosses were MINT, they would have that silver polish on the frames that does not tarnish unless it cracks and falls off.

If MINT means they have perfect paint and aged look, darkening is called "patina" and many collectors love this look and would cringe at the thought of cleaning this off a cross.

Darrell,

Thank you for bringing this point to mind! PLEASE do not clean them. I love the tarnished pieces just as well as the mint glossy examples. Absolutely. I cleaned an EKII once, and felt like throwing it away. I will never do it again, never! They are beautiful with thier vintage aged look.

Robert

Comment

I belong to the group that would never clean a cross of it's natural patina/tarnish. I've an EK2 on a medal bar that it's frame is just a black as the core. It's dowright sexy!

Chet
              Zinc stinks!

Comment

Here's a side by side, with a tarnished (almost black) WW1 frame beside a Minty polished WW2 frame, each in their own beauty. The polished frame won't tarnish unless the delicate plating gets worn off.
                Attached Files

Comment

okay its clear to me now. i have one ek2 schinkel and the top is getting black and it's in not worn condition. maybe somebody polisht it i just don't know. i love shinnie things and yes black is pretty two. is just got 3 ek2's mm55,mm56, and unkwown one and the ar blackalso. it is bad i can't show pictures here but i am working on that. on mij english two

Comment

by the way thanks guys voor the advice

Comment

Couldn't resist...

Robert
                      Attached Files

Comment

I've had the same problem myself!! A K&Q EKII I bought tarnished as soon as I got it!! I always suspected the dealer did some handy work!! I've found some makers hold their finish better than others!! "13", "100" etc, we all now about. It all most seems two finishing methods were used!! I'm sure this has been dicussed before!

Comment

There is nothing more frustrating than to buy a 'doctored-up' or 'edited' so-called mint condition EKI or II, and to find that it has been chemically dipped by the previous owner. And another thing, digital photo editing allows the seller to create any sort of 'gem' he wishes to out of his cross to deceive the buyer into paying a premium price for it. I'm sure we've all been stung by this in the past. If we've been buying EK's for a few years we have been. You can turn an EK into the light to where the frosting (what little there really is) will gleam 'white' like it's in mint condition. When you get it, it's so far from the photo it's ridiculous. I know - it's happened to me on many occasion, and usually by the same seller. I was ignorant the first time, dumb the second. I don't know why I got off on this, but I think it's only fair for all of us to send each other true representations of what we're selling, not some super-emposed digital masterpiece. I'm done.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                            Couldn't resist...

Robert
                            I sure do love a nice patina and that one is great

Comment

Thanks Jono,

Here are a couple more common EK's that have beautiful patina. One is evenly toned to a gun-metal gray/blue, and the other looks lust like a rainbow...

Robert
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X