EK2 mm75 Julius Maurer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 mm75 Julius Maurer?

Is it possible that mm75 EK2's were manufactured by Julius Maurer, Oberstein? On Dan Kelley's website there's a cross and packet set, the unmarked cross is clearly made by mm75 maker with thin curved beading and the packet is stamped Julius Maurer, Oberstein.
    Also the maker mark lists have a pattern of being alphabetical from mm34 to mm111 so it would make sense that Julius Maurer would come after mm74 Carl Maurer and sohn.
    Early lists only show mm's up to 135, how were the later mm's identified?
    mm138 crosses don't share any characteristics with mm75's though, so maybe not? Vaughan.

aren't the 75's the BabyKCs? The WAF list shows them as unknown...

Comment

What does the packet on Dan Kelley's web site look like?
      George

Comment

Here's my "75" and the unmarked packet it came in.
        Attached Files
        George

Comment

Just a standard blue ek2 packet with the manufacturer stamp on the lower back, slightly different lettering on front to one shown.
          Some find this makers cross ugly but I really like the thin high beading with extreme inward curve and high swaz. It always intrigued me who the manufacturer was?

Comment

Maybe is mm75 the maker Franz Breuning from Pforzheim.
            I saw an EK II with a packet of this unknown maker.

Regards

Grueni
            Regards
            Daniel

Search:
            !!! all awards with [L/15] mark !!!
            Otto Schickle
            All early 57er pieces

Comment

Hi,

#75 = Franke & Co. Lüdenscheid

Cheers, Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas H View Post
                #75 = Franke & Co. Lüdenscheid
                Can you prove it?

Regards

Grueni
                Regards
                Daniel

Search:
                !!! all awards with [L/15] mark !!!
                Otto Schickle
                All early 57er pieces

Comment

Hi Grueni,

No I can't proof it at this time, will look in to it.

Cheers, Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by MallardNZ View Post
                    Is it possible that mm75 EK2's were manufactured by Julius Maurer, Oberstein? On Dan Kelley's website there's a cross and packet set, the unmarked cross is clearly made by mm75 maker with thin curved beading and the packet is stamped Julius Maurer, Oberstein.
                    Also the maker mark lists have a pattern of being alphabetical from mm34 to mm111 so it would make sense that Julius Maurer would come after mm74 Carl Maurer and sohn.
                    Early lists only show mm's up to 135, how were the later mm's identified?
                    mm138 crosses don't share any characteristics with mm75's though, so maybe not? Vaughan.
                    That's a good question, Vaughan. I have the same cross with identical characteristics, but unfortunately, no packet came with it. The '75' has been a long-time mystery. Recently I heard someone state that the maker of the '75' was Franz Breuning of Pforzheim. But I also have the name Franke & Co. of Ludenscheid written in my notes too. I know this isn't much help, and I really can't prove either name is correct. We need someone honestly with a vet p/u to establish evidence. At least it would help.

Robert

Comment

Thanks for reply's, looks like it will remain a mystery at this stage.

Comment

I,ve just been reading on the forum that mm138 ek2's have been accompanied with envelopes of Louis Gottlieb & Sohne, Idar Oberstein. Another reason Julius Maurer could be mm75?

Comment

My new theory: Julius Maurer, Oberstein was originally mm75 but later in war took over Louis Gottlieb, Oberstein premises inc. dies etc. and mm138, mm75 was deleted from lists!!!

Comment

Additional information

Hi,

I have some additional information to this interesting thread.

Recently a picker for a WW2 dealer found a small box in the Wiesbaden area which is near Frankfurt. Wiesbaden is also close to Oberstein where the maker Julius Maurer resided.

This box contained several unissued KVK2 without swords marked "75" in Julius Maurer packages.

/Jonas

Comment

Originally posted by Robert P. View Post
                              That's a good question, Vaughan. I have the same cross with identical characteristics, but unfortunately, no packet came with it. The '75' has been a long-time mystery. Recently I heard someone state that the maker of the '75' was Franz Breuning of Pforzheim. But I also have the name Franke & Co. of Ludenscheid written in my notes too. I know this isn't much help, and I really can't prove either name is correct. We need someone honestly with a vet p/u to establish evidence. At least it would help.

Robert

I see that it has opened a Pandora's box ...

Crosses unknown manufacturer (= 75) I've seen in sets with different envelopes.
                              W.Hammesfahr or Carl Forster & Graf, but not with J.Maurer, sorry.

I remember discussions in which one of the well-known collectors EK presented a credible set of envelopes with the cross "75" and the envelope, it was Franke & Co. - Ludenscheid. I think it is likely (but not 100% sure) the manufacturer of these crosses, but not J.Maurer (IMO)

Regards
                              Jarek

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X