Marked vs Unmarked EK1s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marked vs Unmarked EK1s

There seems to be an emphasis on marked EK1s vs unmarked. I just picked up a decent unmarked EK1 on the estand for about 190 US all included. This is just one of a couple of unmarked EK1s I've bought in this price range. Some people are asking this much for an EK2. My question is why the big emphasis on the mark when the maker of the unmarked crosses is usually easy to tell. The one I got today is a Zimmerman. I figure I saved a good 50 bucks over marked. That adds up. I hope the trend continues so I can reap the benefits. Any thoughts here?

Originally posted by Steve Campell View Post
    ...when the maker of the unmarked crosses is usually easy to tell. ...

Not always... and that's the problem.

For example:
    EK's with Souval frames. Souval provided other firms with frames, too.
    EK's from Godet and Zimmermann have the same number design and hinge/pin system.

regards

Grueni
    Regards
    Daniel

Search:
    !!! all awards with [L/15] mark !!!
    Otto Schickle
    All early 57er pieces

Comment

Originally posted by grueni1208 View Post
      Not always... and that's the problem.

For example:
      EK's with Souval frames. Souval provided other firms with frames, too.
      EK's from Godet and Zimmermann have the same number design and hinge/pin system.

regards

Grueni
      So I may have an unmarked Godet? It just occured to me that I may have the same cross now as I have an L/50 Godet EK1. Guess that was my fault for not thinking before I bought. Can you tell those two crosses apart at all?

Comment

So I may have an unmarked Godet? It just occured to me that I may have the same cross now as I have an L/50 Godet EK1. Guess that was my fault for not thinking before I bought. Can you tell those two crosses apart at all?
        Nope!

Comment

I don't have EK I from Zimmermann and Godet, therefore I must use pictures from Niemann update. I hope the pictures are good enough.

At first L/50
          distinctive number design
          Attached Files
          Regards
          Daniel

Search:
          Otto Schickle
          All early 57er pieces

Comment

Great! What was the point of that? It was still a good deal but probably not the smartest choice for my collection. Looks like this blew up in my face. Maybe I can trade it.

Comment

Second L/52

same number design
              Attached Files
              Regards
              Daniel

Search:
              Otto Schickle
              All early 57er pieces

Comment

I can see what you are saying. Well I think my original argument still holds merit, and I got a good deal today, but now I have 2 crosses that are essentially the exact same except for the L/50 marking on one. Probably not the smartest move I've made. Now what do I do?

Comment

Hello,

actually you do the right.
                  But you have forgotten that it gives a lot of crosses with different stamps.

Where is the stamp, double stamped and kind of stamp (in a box or not, big number or not and on the pin or not.

Next is, to get all together in magnetic and nonmagnetic core.

You see you also can take a advantage if you collect stamped awards.

Best Franki

Comment

Originally posted by franki View Post
                    Hello,

actually you do the right.
                    But you have forgotten that it gives a lot of crosses with different stamps.

Where is the stamp, double stamped and kind of stamp (in a box or not, big number or not and on the pin or not.

Next is, to get all together in magnetic and nonmagnetic core.

You see you also can take a advantage if you collect stamped awards.

Best Franki
                    I guess looking at it like that isn't bad. I have a marked and an unmarked example. Thanks I feel a bit better about it now, and I'm sure it will be a nice piece when it arrives.

Comment

from a different angle...
                      you may have an unmarked cross that was on a general's chest, or seen crazy frontline action in a panzer,
                      or you could have a marked minty cross that saw the inside of a box.
                      regards
                      jon

Comment

Originally posted by tinmantis View Post
                        from a different angle...
                        you may have an unmarked cross that was on a general's chest, or seen crazy frontline action in a panzer,
                        or you could have a marked minty cross that saw the inside of a box.
                        regards
                        jon
                        I like that angle! I don't think you (Steve) should have any problem selling the unmarked one, if you so choose.

Comment

I've already had an offer! But I'm going to get it and see what it's like. I'm an EK addict and I know once I get it in hand I won't want to part with it. Not to mention 140 Euros all fees included can't really be beat. It is another piece of history. I don't collect for investment but if I look at it from that angle, I've probably already made a few dollars, and in a few years might even do better. I can also work out a trade maybe. I don't think you'll find another one for that price range. If you factor in the fees give or take I probably paid maybe 127 Euro for the cross itself. Man, I'm feeling better all the time. Got a good deal on the first pattern black wound badge he was selling also. Should be a nice package when it arrives. What would a dealer want for those 2 items?

Comment

Here's the two crosses next to each other, maybe it's just this set, but here, the godet's hinge sits higher than the Zimmermann's, thus the needle not reaching down as far. Confirm or reject, just a coincidence or camera angle? Does anyone have em both in front of his eyes?
                            here's the two examples I've handled (unfortunately not at the same time...
                            Herr Zimmermann left and Monsieur Godet to the right
                            Attached Files

Comment

backs with the hinges low and high
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X