EK stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK stupid question

This might sound like a stupid question. If you won awards in WWI, went to civilian life, lost all your awards, then became involved in the Nazi party or fought in WWII, how did you get replacements? Was there enough left over to satisfy this need? Did companies build WWI medals during WWII for replacements? Can you tell a difference between the two?

Sorry for a novice question. Paul

Originally posted by Paul70 View Post
    This might sound like a stupid question. If you won awards in WWI, went to civilian life, lost all your awards, then became involved in the Nazi party or fought in WWII, how did you get replacements? Was there enough left over to satisfy this need? Did companies build WWI medals during WWII for replacements? Can you tell a difference between the two?

Sorry for a novice question. Paul
    The majority of the replacements came from versions made during the interwar period OR during WW2 in the TR era.

Comment

Some awards were given after WW1 and replacements were given out. Not sure if you could tell if pre 1919 or not. During WW2 the EK1s are based on the 1939 type cross for the most part with the WW1 type date and all.

Dennis

Comment

There were WW1 Ek's made during the inter war and i think TR period. I have seen some being sold as TR produced ww1 Eks. I have no idea about difference, how you went about getting replacements etc

Comment

I believe a number of companies published catalogues where a wide array of awards were available for private purchase. The individual just had to show that he had won the award and a purchase could be made. I've seen scans of these catalogues and it looked like a good bit was available.

Comment

Replacement Awards

Originally posted by Jono View Post
            There were WW1 Ek's made during the inter war and i think TR period. I have seen some being sold as TR produced ww1 Eks. I have no idea about difference, how you went about getting replacements etc
            If I'm not mistaken, imperial replacement EK's made during the 3rd. Reich were same size as the 1939 version, and had the LDO hallmarks on them. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone.

Comment

Yes, TR era Iron Croses have the same demensions as 1939 crosses but not all are LDO marked. There are some with the TR numerical marks, some with LDO marks and many that are unmarked.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Link View Post
                If I'm not mistaken, imperial replacement EK's made during the 3rd. Reich were same size as the 1939 version, and had the LDO hallmarks on them. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone.
                Not all imperial EK had a LDO maker's mark, some were without (like the 1939er versions).
                Some imperial EK had a normal (number without L/...) maker's mark (number of Präsidialkanzlei).

I have an EK2 1914 with maker's mark L/11 (schinkelform, WWI format) and an EK2 1914 with maker's mark L/54 (WWII format). Different firms have different sizes. I think only firms which produced 1939 EK in schinkel format (like Deumer or Meybauer) produced in WWI format, the other firms used only the 1939 format.

regards

Grueni
                Last edited by grueni1208; 07-22-2007, 09:28 AM.
                Regards
                Daniel

Search:
                !!! all awards with [L/15] mark !!!
                Otto Schickle
                All early 57er pieces

Comment

I also have an 1914 EK2 maker marked L/11 made during the 3rd Reich era, and an 1914 EK1 screw back, unmarked, also made during the 3rd Reich era, what I have been told from members here and on other forums, that EK's(1914,1939) made during the 3rd Reich had the silver frosted finish applied. There is more information that other members here can tell you, and as my Father used to say, there is no such thing as a "stupid question", the only way to learn is from questions, we all have learned what we know from asking questions.. weather getting answers from books or people, it started with a question, "what is this", "what is it made of" "who made it" and so on...
                  Van

Comment

TR era Imperial EKs

Use the search option, you may find that your questions have been asked before. That being said, here's a thread I started on TR era Imperial Eks:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=223533

It's hard to really find out whats going on with a cross when you can only see it on Ebay and frequently people don't know what they're selling so questions don't get answered. I see non-schinkel form Imperial EKs on Ebay very frequently, as said before, the best indication of a TR era Imperial EK is that the cross is non Schinkel. Good luck, Ausgang

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X