Ek 1 L15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ek 1 L15

I have seen the discussions on these and it seems to me there is much disagreement through the various threads. If these are deemed to be repros coming from Johannes Floch, when did he first release them? Otherwise, is there consensus on them or not? What do you think of this one.

Ron

I tried to get a couple more photos of it.

Ron

Comment

The obverse is a classic Souval - dropped 3, unique finish at apex of beading,rounded beading surrounding swaz, etc,etc
      but L15 on hardware

Hadrian

Comment

Hi,

This thread should hopefully give you some information.
        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=143349

Regards,
        Stephen

Comment

Hello,

Yet another one just as this example:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=227871

William Kramer
          Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Originally posted by all1knew View Post
            Hello,

Yet another one just as this example:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=227871

William Kramer

Thank you, but as I said I have seen the threads on this type cross......this one included. They show no real consensus, especially when read in connection with others, in my opinion. Many of the posts talk of L/15, a few talk of L15, this one is L15. If this type comes from Johannes Floch, surely someone should be able to indicate when he released them into the market. When was that? Has anyone indicated that they purchased one of this type from Floch? If he in fact put them out, someone had to buy from him at some point. He used to sell to both "dealers" and individuals. I have been inactive as a collector for over 20 years, so I haven't seen him for a great number of years; however, I used to see him at the OVMS show fairly regularly. He used to sit behind a table with his stuff mostly behind the table, and the "dealers" would flock to Floch to purchase his stuff. I cannot access the Floch article in the association members only section, which may contain some of the information I am interested in because I am not an association member. I am not an active collector anymore, and have no intention to become "active" again; therefore, I am not replacing my books that were destroyed as a result of a house fire and I am not going to shows etc.........and have no desire to do so again. In fact most of my stuff that I have left is packed away. I am only digging it out little by little to photograph for my families use to ID the stuff in case they want to dispose of it after my death.....so they won't be totally ripped off by people......and to try to update my own information, so, if I decide to dump it myself, I too will have some more current idea of value.

As to Floch himself, I am unsure how old he is, but I don't think he is nearly as old as me....so I am pretty well certain that he wasn't releasing things shortly after WW2. I was in the 1st grade in September 1945, and wasn't seeing any "Floch" things then. Sorry for the bit of sarcasm, it is meant to convey that there must have been a time between 1945 and now that Floch, if he did, released the version of the EK1 that I have posted. Does anyone know when that was? The ones he sold earlier, when I first came to know him in the 60s were not like this one. They didn't have the "Souval" frames, and were not marked L/15. They were marked 15 on the pin. I have seen many of those type given a here on the forum. Many of the ones I have seen on the forum IDed as Floch EKs have a slightly different pin than the ones he first sold, so he must have had a different pin on his ones he had made up. I also visited Herr Umlauf at the Souval place in Vienna while I was stationed in Europe in the mid-70s. I spent time with him up in his loft office, discussing medals and etc. with him. He was a very cordial gentleman. He told about the tools wearing out and making new dies; the old supply of pins and catches being used up long ago and the replacements he came up with of lessor quality than the old stock; and the lessening of the quality of the other materials used. I did not see any of the older "Souval" frames in his stock at that time, and he said it wasn't "cost effective" to make the higher quality stuff for sale to his market. He never claimed that the stuff they were making was anything other than reproduction items, and was not intended to be exactly like before. Since his firm was still making stuff, and really never stopped even at the fall of the Third Reich, I do not find it particularly credible that he would have sold "leftover" parts from the firm. I think it more reasonable that he would used them for his own products. He did do some "special items" on order etc.. He went to the very large safe he had up in his loft and showed me some eagle orders, and some awards with diamonds....very nice looking stuff. He also pulled out about 5 Orders of the Dead, all cased, which were very impressive looking.....very fine quality. He said that they cost the equivalent of $1500 each. I brought back a momento from my visit, one of his lessor quality KCs poorly marked L/58.

Enough of my rambling of the past. My main question remains, if this EK1 is deemed to be of a type put out by Floch, when did it hit the market?

Ron
            Last edited by Ron C.; 07-15-2007, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X