And yet another mint S&L EKII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Details

Barely started with all that these early crosses of S&L contain and all the info they are showing us only if we open our eye and look closely .
    Design and manufacturing were by 1939 very much setup and controlled for EK1's and 2's . As always exceptions exist and more toward the end .
    Companies that already had made WW1 EK's had tooling and supplies on hand and started off with what they had , ... zB. the larger thinner rings , until they hat to switch and retool . Some companies at first , and or permanently bought parts from other manufacturers . Records on this are just about non existant .
    The 100 and so makers did not start producing on the same day , then they all would have the small and large ring Crosses . Established companies that applied in 1939 have some of these two types , some only the smaller thicker rings , because they started production later .
    Early EK2's are very rare in such mint condition and there is some kind of reason behind it !
    Such is the case of the EK2 that I have . One of the first issued EK2's (to a Hauptman) in error , as he already had the WW1 EK2, .. should have been a Wiederholungsspange , which he did get later . As requested by Headquarters the EK2 to be exchanged and turned back in . A few such mishaps did occur in the first months or so , according the recipient from which I was able the get this info first hand and see his letters . Not sure now who he had asked , but was able to keep it and promised to put it away , which he did until 1977 when he sold all his stuff including his full decked Army Parade Uniform.
    A year later he received his EK1 a mm 65 he wore . The EK2 and second EK1 , a first month production L59( was recalled) , I was able to buy off of him .
    Information not told is lost , ... how true .! Could go on but back to the Ek2 .
    Did you find the presentation I made ? Probably will bump it up .
    With the change of the ring came the change in maker mark .
    Douglas
    Attached Files

Comment

Details

Just brought the old post back up .
      I did measurments and hope you could the same on yours ,very interested to see what yours are .
      I added the one picture again that shows the uneven brush applied acid past line l.
      Wonders of photagrafy .
      Last edited by Douglas 5; 05-12-2007, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Douglas,

Great history. I measured the cross on this thread and found it to be 44.45 mm wide. Of the other (4) S&L EKII's I own, all have the smaller ribbon ring and the thinner '4' stamp, as well as the newer or later core. Surprisingly (they've been hid away for some time now) they are all in near mint to mint condition as well. The later S&L's really hold their finish well.

I'll keep my eyes open now for the earlier version, as it will complete the set. It's interesting to see the wider gap in the '9's in '1939' on the later-issue S&L's. This has been a real eye-opener for me. Thank you for your work!

Robert

Comment

The S&L EK1's show the same 2 cores as the S&L EK2's !
          Try to find my picture for it .

Comment

Core-Frame Types

Here is a comparison of my early EK2 to a mid periode EK2 S&L 4 , that shows the 2 very destinct types !
            Above the narrow thin and high bead and lacquered frame, hand applied frosting and larger date with slit-eye 9' . minor differences in the top of the 3 (-angles) . and sharp ridged tail curl on the 3 and 9 .
            The date and Swastika is larger do to the 'deeper' strike and wider shoulders on the numbers that can be seen here very well ! Swastika slightly vaulted making the centre higher than the beading !
            Below ( picture Waffen-Mike) :the wider shallower beading , average dept strike date and the acid dip and polished frame and frosting method used on this one . 2nd core die :'Flat-bottom' 9's and flat tail curl on the 3 and 9.
            Interesting to note that this one still has the early 'chuncky' paint and the lead -oxide flakes on the surface can be seen !

Douglas
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, the difference is easily seen. Thank you, Douglas. What an education.

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X