Attributed Cross on Detlev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attributed Cross on Detlev

Attributed 935/4, awarded October 1944. On Detlev's site. Should make for interesting topic.....Jimmy

This is the same set that Carsten Baldes had for sale a few months ago, that's back on the market quickly, or was it Detlev who bought it from Carsten?
    Let hope the cross matches the photo of the guy wearing it.
    Regards
    Steve C

Comment

Look at the curvature of the arms....unlike that of S&L!
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

Look also here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=218677

It seems that this group is put together (and I'm not saying by Detlev Niemann....) and constitutes now the second group where a 935-4 was evidently attributed and it turned out to be not so. I wonder whay that is?

Dietrich
        B&D PUBLISHING
        Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
          Look also here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=218677

It seems that this group is put together (and I'm not saying by Detlev Niemann....) and constitutes now the second group where a 935-4 was evidently attributed and it turned out to be not so. I wonder whay that is?

Dietrich

...I know of groups were 5 KC are in it. We know that a lot of recipients had several KC in their posession. Perhaps is this an explanation.
          Pieter.
          SUUM CUIQUE ...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve C View Post
            This is the same set that Carsten Baldes had for sale a few months ago, that's back on the market quickly, or was it Detlev who bought it from Carsten?
            Let hope the cross matches the photo of the guy wearing it.
            Regards
            Steve C
            No the grouping was bought from Casten Baldes by a Dutch collector a couple of months ago, and he probably sold the grouping to Detlev.

Comment

Originally posted by Pieter Verbruggen View Post
              ...I know of groups were 5 KC are in it. We know that a lot of recipients had several KC in their posession. Perhaps is this an explanation. Pieter.
              Sure. We know of a lot of veterans that came back from the war w/o a cross (taken as a souvenier) and they bought another one after the war.
              B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

According to his own words (interview in The Iron Time) Othmar Hermes received two knight's crosses. One at the time of the award ceremony, (June 1944) and one from his Battalion commander. One he wore, the second he sent home to his parents (a nice flawed A type S&L!)

Comment

I received the police department's medal of valor. I requested a replacement so I would not wear the engraved medal on dress occasions. My original was sewn into the jacket, of my son, when he went to war in Desert Storm1, as a good luck token, along with his mother's Rosary. Thankfully, all returned safely.

It is not inconceivable for a receipient to have duplicate(s) for wear on special occasions, or to frame at home.

Bob Hritz
                  In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                    It is not inconceivable for a receipient to have duplicate(s) for wear on special occasions, or to frame at home. Bob Hritz
                    Absolutely conceivable and it surely happened. I have hundreds of pages from the PKZ of letters requesting a second cross. The process was quite clear and becomes evident from the paperwork: The recipient had to proove (either via notarized papers or by a acknowledgement from his superior officer) that he was entitled to the cross (or higher) and then he could buy as much as he wanted. He could also, with the help of witnesses, claim that he lost the medal in action. In that case the replacement was free.

So each recipeint could have as much crosses as his financial situation allowed! That is nothing new.

But this is not the point here: The point I was making is only that with this group no firm evidence for a wartime award of a 935-4 is established since the cross in the picture is not even a S&L. Could he have bought the S&L (or even 2 or 3 or whatever) from the PKZ? Sure. I never disputed that.

I also know of Veterans who sold a lot of crosses as their own after the war ....just a question of supply and demand.

Dietrich
                    B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X