Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jon doe View Post
    Hello Frank,

I don´t think the catch is a replacement. The finish on the catch is consistent to the overall appearance of the cross.
    It has a very thick tombak coating over the zinc base metal which also covers the entire setup.

I just recently got this KVK and I´m not really sure about authenticity.
    Anyway, I just took some new pics and hope they are helpful for you in any way, Van.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
    Well, I suggested a replacement because all the others have round wire catches. And to be honest, I have never seen this type of catch on any kvk before. Not that it means so much but at least it makes me wonder.

I noticed the coating in the first pictures, eg the bubbling on the backside and wondered about that too. It's a lot more visible on the second pictures.

As far as I know tombak is the base alloy metal that the award is made of (and later on zink as the war progressed) and not something you can spray or do a coating with.

So excuse me for saying this but are you sure it's not a spray paint job done to freshen up a tired zink cross, hide the catch replacement and bump the price. The coating covers everything incl pin, hinge and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by nachtundnebel View Post
      As far as I know tombak is the base alloy metal that the award is made of (and later on zink as the war progressed) and not something you can spray or do a coating with.

So excuse me for saying this but are you sure it's not a spray paint job done to freshen up a tired zink cross, hide the catch replacement and bump the price. The coating covers everything incl pin, hinge and so on.

Hello,

tombak was indeed often used as base metal on a variety of TR awards, but also as a thin coating. This was done in order to achieve a better adhesion of the finish to the award and to give a simple zinc example the appearance of a tombak award.
      I know of GABs that were treated this way.

Furthermore I carefully tested whether the finish on my KVK is resitant to acetone - it is. You cannot remove a bit of the finish.
      There are also discolorations present, that were probably caused by oxidation over the years. Everything looks very convincing, so I don´t think it´s a modern paint job.

Problem is that I couldn´t find pictures of an L/12 marked reference piece with that setup.
      I showed pictures of my cross to Mr Niemann and he liked it (if that means anything).
      I will probably send it over to him for COA.

All the best!

Comment

I think the bubbling on Danny's cross is the normal reaction from the zinc base on the silverwash and the setup with the plate gives a bigger surface for better soldering on the zinc. If I'm right this type of plate under the c-hook is also used on a paticular type of General Assault badge (can't remember wich maker).

Regards, Theo
        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Originally posted by Theo Cuypers View Post
          If I'm right this type of plate under the c-hook is also used on a paticular type of General Assault badge (can't remember wich maker).

Regards, Theo
          Hello Theo,

you are right - the maker of the GAB is Steinhauer & Lück

Comment

Hello Jon ad Theo.

Well, I was giving my personal opinions based on the posted pictures and must admit I still don't like it. I've have never seen a kvk where the wash is done on the whole cross incl pin and hinge and never that kind of catch on a kvk. Maybe they exist on gab's but not on kvk's plus this cross is not a S&L.

These two things lead to my conclusion that maybe there had been done some makeover at some point to refresh an otherwise ok zink cross with a missing catch.

On the other hand if Detlev Niemann is giving it a then who am I to argue against that, so I'll rest my case.

PS: If you send it to Mr Niemann please keep us updated on the outcome.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X