Clear All

Spanish Cross, L/13

hello

now its time ... i searched for it long time
    and now - short before paying i ve got doubts about it

please opinions

remind the backside and the less color?

Hi,
    The cross is original. Typical L/13 (eagles, pin, hook, cut swords). Is the brightness due to the flash or a varnish ?

jacques

Comment

i will hope no vanish

i ve got only pictures til now

Comment

so

i ve got new pictures

vanish, indeed - i beg the seller to clean it ....

and look now -

bad?

Comment

could it be a silver one?

Comment

anyone out there????

Comment

Hello

Spanish crosses aren't an area I collect in, so I can't comment on the originality of the item. However, as far as I am aware these are an item that you just don't clean, in the same way that you would never clean and polish a GAB, a KVK, IAB, and loads of other pieces. The reason is that the colour applied to them is often just a wash, or sometimes a gilding, and any cleaning will irrevesably strip it off the piece exposing the base metal underneath. I think that by your begging the seller to clean it this is what has happened here.

All Jaques was asking was were the pictures taken with a flash, hence the reflections, or had the piece been varnished. Certainly some years back it was not uncommon for some collectors to apply a light coat of varnish to awards to help, as they saw it, preserve the piece and hold off any tarnishing. It would seem, from what I can discern in the photos, that there was no varnish on this cross, and that the original wash or gilding is now stripped from it by cleaning it. What the seller needed to do was take some shots in full daylight, without flash and that would have given the answer.

I would love to be wrong on this, but in my opinion, by begging to have it cleaned, it's original finish has now been stripped from it.

Regards
              David

Comment

hello

thanks for answering

although - it was the decision of the seller to clean it
                not forced to do so

Comment

I agree with Jacques that it is an original Meybauer with the swords cut off. It shows a lot of wear with any details to the eagles almost gone and the arms worn smooth in spots.

After that cleaning job I'm not sure I would want it, it looks like he used something pretty harsh on it. Your call.

Alan

Comment

It is difficult to say if it is a silver cross. I wonder what could have been applied on it to give such a copper color.
                    I never saw a silver cross turning into such a color, even cleaned or poliched. I never tryed to clean a bronze cross, so I can't say what the color might become.

jacques

Comment

Originally posted by spectre View Post
                      I agree with Jacques that it is an original Meybauer with the swords cut off. It shows a lot of wear with any details to the eagles almost gone and the arms worn smooth in spots.

After that cleaning job I'm not sure I would want it, it looks like he used something pretty harsh on it. Your call.

Alan
                      helli
                      he think now he would have a silver one and wont sell it anylonger
                      its ok for me

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X