War Merit Cross 1st Class ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War Merit Cross 1st Class ?

I have a chance to purchase this war merit cross 1st class from a vet I have already purchased a pistol (B-HP)from Him and want to be good to the gentleman. is $100 a fair price? to much? worth more? and more importantly is it a good one? thank you frank v.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vitts; 03-22-2007, 09:57 AM.

It is mm 4 if you can not make it out

I was trying to concentrate on the MM and did not get a good shot of the hinge and catch but they are both in good shape
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm no expert on spotting fakes with these, but i can definitely say that $100 for a maker marked example is a good price, they generally go for about $40 - $60 more on the E-Stand for a decent example, can be even more for a minty one.
      Ant.

Comment

I'd have to agree with Ant. For $100 you're practically stealing it. If you want to be good to the gentleman, give him more.
        George

Comment

thank you for the comments. I try to treat the vets I meet with the utmost respect and give them the dignity they deserve. The best way to do that is giving them a fair price. When you think about it, and this has happened to me, they have friends that are vets and when you treat them fairly they do not mind giving your card to their friends.

That said what is a fair price ?

Here is a picture of him with the browning high power, holster, luft buckle and belt I got from him.
          Attached Files

Comment

A cased silver example goes for around $230.

Comment

Well, seeing him now with the pistol, I would definitely give him more! (For a guy like that, I'd give him at least $150. He looks like he deserves it.)
              George

Comment

Nice veteran, which he looks like, or not then $150 is tops. It's a bit tired looking zink cross from a common maker after all.

Frank

Comment

Not to sidetrack to far but how should you or should you clean up a "tired looking" zinc badge? I have read here before about the vasoline treatment to stop the "zinc pest" but does it actualy clean a badge. I have several silver wound badges i would like to try it on but i never realy asked anyone DOES IT WORK? can you show a badge you have done it to? thanks for the help evryone i will be gettting this cross on saturday. vitts-----frank v.

Comment

There's not a lot you can do about this. As far as I can see there's no zink pest, which is positive of course but you can't restore the finish.

The finish was applied on top of the zink and usually after 60+ years later most of or all the finish has gone. There's still a little left on yours I believe. You can of course try to apply your own finish but that would be to ruin the cross. Better leave it.

Please forgive my comment about the tired look. It's still a nice cross but they're a little dull in my opinion. To show you what I mean here's a nice mm4 zink cross with a lot of finish left.

Frank
                    Attached Files

Comment

and the reverse. Supercross but alas not mine, so thanks for borrowing the photos. Frank
                      Attached Files

Comment

hard to believe that the one I posted looked like the one you posted once. I would not want to try and put a "new" finish on any of my badges but what kind of finish is it that was applied to these badges? just a silver wash? I Guess it is just like the pistols I collect. When you drop below 95% the number pistols you find drops and the price goes up.. Thank you all for the replies and the coments. have a goood weekend frank v.

Comment

Originally posted by nachtundnebel View Post
                          To show you what I mean here's a nice mm4 zink cross with a lot of finish left.

Frank
                          I'm sorry! it's mine...

I bought that one to Dave-B and the pictures are also from Dave
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by ciritione; 03-23-2007, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X