EK2 maker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 maker?

I still can't figure it out which maker made which unmarked cross.....

So, I still need the advice of the real experts in this matter.

Any opinions who is the maker of this cross?

Thanks,

Nico
    Attached Files

Looks like a Rudolf Wachtler and Lange '100'.

Comment

Yes, it's a W&L (100 or L/55). These are truly among the easiest EKs to i.d., once you know what to look for.

best
      Hank
      Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
      ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Thanks guys,

that was fast like hell

They should publish a book how to recognise those different makers

Comment

Originally posted by hankmeister View Post
          Yes, it's a W&L (100 or L/55). These are truly among the easiest EKs to i.d., once you know what to look for.

best
          Hank
          So, from a total numpties point of view what would one look for? So far I've managed to suss out that a 100 (L/55) has a humpy bit at the top the ring fixes too but what are the other signs?
          Same with the other crosses - I look at them and I'm buggered if I can tell any differences half the time unless it's something really obvious like the different style of date etc (curly 3 or a flat topped one)...I take it that it's just something that comes with practice?

I must admit i'm always amazed when someone can post a pic of an unmarked EK (or any badge in on of the other forums) and someone else can straight away spot what it is....bloody amazing....hats off to you..you lot know yer stuff!

Comment

I agree. I wish I knew how also. aybe someone could help me with the thread I posted earlier?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=203018

Comment

I did also think about wy not a black book for all makers, but then wy spoile the fun in to try find out ho it is. Best research engin is here.
              By the way a nice W&L
              Mikael

Comment

Originally posted by Time Bandit View Post
                So, from a total numpties point of view what would one look for? So far I've managed to suss out that a 100 (L/55) has a humpy bit at the top the ring fixes too but what are the other signs? ...edit...
                In conjunction with the "humpy bit", see this thread:
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=187512
                I posted a closeup of the bead flaw (or characteristic) in post #9, that all 100's (that we've positively identified, both 1st and 2nd class) have. Also, they retain their original shine and frosting remarkably well in many case, and the 1939 and 1813 sit somewhat lower (from top of cross to bottom) than most.
                And some of them make it real easy, and have a little "100" on the ring!

best to all,
                Hank
                Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

EK2 fIGURING IT OUT

Hi all :
                  Good luck, I figure close to or over 100 makers. All are different mostly on frames with some interchangability on cores. Lets start with the hump frames approx. 8 that I know of. not counting the doubles eg 100 & L/55.
                  Each medal or award requires close study to enable a collector to identify it's maker. This holds true for all the medals I have encountered. It takes time and study I guess by the school of hard knocks. Beleive me you will make mistakes and acquire a fosh from time to time as the fakers are moving forward. My advice is to stay active with the collectors community so you can stay up to date with all the new discoveries good and bad. Important study the known original examples. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by hankmeister View Post
                    In conjunction with the "humpy bit", see this thread:
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=187512
                    I posted a closeup of the bead flaw (or characteristic) in post #9, that all 100's (that we've positively identified, both 1st and 2nd class) have. Also, they retain their original shine and frosting remarkably well in many case, and the 1939 and 1813 sit somewhat lower (from top of cross to bottom) than most.
                    And some of them make it real easy, and have a little "100" on the ring!

best to all,
                    Hank

Cheers - I've just been having a gander at my one and only EK (a 2nd class) which was ID'd as a 100 by the good folks on here and now I know what I am sort of looking at I can see the above bits on my cross - it has the hump, shine etc still looks good, dates are fairly low and finally I can see the flaw...well I think I can...it just looks like a bit that don't seem to of stamped right?

I guess it's a start!

Comment

ek2

Having a second look I agree with some others probably a mm 100.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys!

It is indeed a nice cross. And although it s not marked, I purchased it for my collection.
                        I try to collect as many "near-mint" EK's as possible (without hurting my wallet too bad ).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X