No announcement yet.

My first wartime RK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owning a wartime RK gives you that special, "warm", feeling, doesn't it?

Comment

Congratulations Mike, beautiful cross. It is a shame about the de-nazification, but then again, that is all part of its turbulent history. Oh what a story it could tell......................

Comment

Nice Addition !!!

Congrats Mike, that is a great addition. Too bad about the "de-Nazi"ing of the swastika, but I agree with Pablo, it's part of it's history. To me, nothing beats a well worn item. I know a lot of people like pristine pieces, but to me nothing beats the "been there, done that" oldies.

Happy collecting,
        Andrew

Comment

Thanks Guys!
          Mike

Comment

Mike, indeed a lovely Cross and rich w/ history!
            I wonder and you may have a great time with the research...where was was the General held as a POW along with his surrender information etc.

We see photos of Officers wearing their awards and it would be great to discover if certain camps brought the anti-Nazi training a bit far by suggesting or even forcing the removal of the Swaz!
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane View Post
              Mike, indeed a lovely Cross and rich w/ history!
              I wonder and you may have a great time with the research...where was was the General held as a POW along with his surrender information etc.

We see photos of Officers wearing their awards and it would be great to discover if certain camps brought the anti-Nazi training a bit far by suggesting or even forcing the removal of the Swaz!
              Hello Dave, Fritz Becker was held at Special Camp 11.
              Here is a link to more info; http://www.specialcamp11.fsnet.co.uk...z%20Becker.htm

Mike

Comment

Island Farm

Your man was imprisoned 12 miles from me in Bridgend ,South Wales.I know a couple of collectors in Bridgend who have seen one old boys collection from Island Farm.His mother used to feed and water some of the senior officers who were allowed to garden for some of the locals.There are a number of DKiG's , WW1 ek1's with 39 bars and other stuff.This old boy has died recently and his son has cottoned onto the importance of this collection.I await events!! One chap I spoke to has seen the DKiG's which are named on the inside of the case.When asked about selling t owner became cagey and inferred that he was going to hang onto the collection for a while.

Comment

-

Pity on such a nice Juncker!

Comment

Congrats! (even though I find the swastika my favorite part on such an award)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Harrington View Post
                      Your man was imprisoned 12 miles from me in Bridgend ,South Wales.I know a couple of collectors in Bridgend who have seen one old boys collection from Island Farm.His mother used to feed and water some of the senior officers who were allowed to garden for some of the locals.There are a number of DKiG's , WW1 ek1's with 39 bars and other stuff.This old boy has died recently and his son has cottoned onto the importance of this collection.I await events!! One chap I spoke to has seen the DKiG's which are named on the inside of the case.When asked about selling t owner became cagey and inferred that he was going to hang onto the collection for a while.
                      Thanks Kyle for the info. Only 12 miles away from you? Is there any of the camp left? I would imagine not, but you never know?
                      Mike

Comment

Island Farm

Mike,

There are remains but one politically correct tosser who ran Bridgend Council wanted to obliterate it completely.There is a web site dedicated to the camp which housed some serious people, Von Rundsted was one.
                        They were marched from Bridgend Raiway station to the camp on the outskirts of the town, Gerd VR asked a female guard to push his small
                        trolley of belongings, her response was lets just say colourful.I know of one guy whose grandmother gave some seniors home made cider in exchange for items.Before the old boy died last year a collector I know was in a local pub wher he heard a heated exchange between some older boys.One guy stormed out to return with a small sack which he deposited amongst the pints.The friend of mine nearly choked when he saw the contents, EK1'S, DKiG's, one certain RK in his stunned excitement he asked the fella if he was interested in selling, his response was at the right price anything is possible.Seemingly he had an idea of the historical importance of these items.His son has custody of these items now I have a feeling he will be contacting dealers accordingly, or going to auction.
                        Regards Kyle

Comment

Indeed an interesting story

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X