Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help ID'n EKII Ribbon Device

Good day all,

I need to draw upon the EK experts to help ID a device on this man's ribbon. Oberbootsmaat Gustav Schinkel served on the Scharnhorst until mid-40 and then transferred to U-124. Based on the 23 photos I have he must have been awarded the EKII sometime in early to mid '40. The pic below shows him in late '42/early '43 with some non-reg device on his EKII Feldspange. Is anybody aware of a device that former members of either the Scharnhorst could wear (after her sinking) or a device that U-boat members wore on their EK ribbons????

This is part of a bigger mystery regarding this sailor. I threw a few pics on for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks for any/all inputs in advance!!

Bob
    Attached Files

Close-up
    Attached Files

Comment

Scharnhorst time
      Attached Files

Comment

U-124 time
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bob :
          Just by co-incidence saw this post of yours :
          Cannot answer any of your questions ,just noticed on post 3 -Scharnhorst picture the star above the chevron (trade star?) .... I may have one like it , which I have not been able to identify yet . Do you happen to know more about it ??
          The one I have . 1 3/4'' diameter on dark blue backing .

Thanks, Douglas
          Attached Files

Comment

I believe this single star represented completion of enlisted basic training. Upon completion of additional training in a specialized field the star was replaced with a corresponding 'trade' (Laufbahnabzeichen) patch.

Robert

Comment

Hi Robert ;
              It has hard to find anything on this , ... did not find anything amongst the German badges until Bob's picture . Ours was found in an envelope of inlaws military stuff . He was a WWI and WWII Vet found with his WWII stuff . Not known if it was his own or he got it in Germany during the war . The Canadian Police star is yellow , so not it and the US used white stars on vihicle pennants . He was a transport supply driver and a marksman instructor during the last war . The British had a Driver Trade Badge that is somewhat close , but different stitching to center , the closest I could find .
              Is there any reference charts with straight on pictures , as the stitching layout is very important . This patch was worn and sown on , holes are still there !
              Douglas

Comment

Douglas,

This is the best site I have for KR rank system...

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/

Robert

Comment

Well I looked at that .
                  The star is on a round backing disk , what this one is not ... star backing .
                  No stitching closeup to see detail . I am not sure this is that one .

Comment

More experienced opinions would be helpful. I don't know if the star was only found on a round wool felt backing cloth.

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X