iron crosses - 3 piece constructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iron crosses - 3 piece constructions

i know that bonfide crosses are of 3 piece constructions. my question is, how does one make sure that a cross is a 3 piece construction? are they any 'tests' or ways of finding out?

thanks in advance

jonathan

Hello Jonathan,
    There are several different ways of checking this. You can give it a visual check, to see if you can see the join around the edges of the frame, shake it to feel or hear the core rattle or you can see if you can insert a piece of paper between the frame and core.
    Last edited by Adrian; 01-23-2007, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I get a nice crisp bank note & try to find an area where one tip will slip inbetween the frame & core. You'd be suprised at how well some of the EK II's still fit after 60 years!

Comment

Dear Jonothan,

Not all crosses are of 3 piece construction. There are the rare one piece construction EKs. If I remember correctly these were of the Schinkel pattern.

As has been alluded to it is best to view the cross on its side to look for a seam on the frame. Many frames are joined perfectly so a loupe may be required to see the seam. You can also look for some spacing between the beading and the iron core. This is easiest near the area of the swastica.

Gary B
        ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X