Beginners mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginners mistakes

I'd like to start a thread about beginners mistakes. Sometimes there seems to be some confusion or lack of knowledge about certain thing. Maybe this thread can help to avopid some of those. I'd like to start with one of the more obvious:

Schinkel
    This was the gentleman who designed the Iron Cross. Some earlier crosses are 'named' after him because of the shape of the cross arms.

Schickle
    Manufacturer of the Knights Cross in Pforzheim for a short period of time. Also manufacturer of the Iron Cross 1st Class. Never got a PKZ number. LDO-number L/15

Klein & Quenzer
    located in Idar-Oberstein, no LDO-number, PKZ-# 65. Also manufacurer of the RK, EK1 and 2

Klein
    surely not to be mixed up with Klein & Quenzer! Located in Hanau, manufacturer of the DK, no LDO-number, PKZ-# '134'

Juncker
    manufacturer of the RK and EK's. LDO-number L/12, PKZ-# "2". Located in Berlin

Junkers
    Airplane manufacturer, located in Dessau.

Maybe more members can add their comments to the thread. Not only names, but other 'beginners' misconceptions also. It will help some people for sure!

Dietrich
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

3 piece crosses with magnetic core are genuine. There are many fakes made this way.
    1 piece crosses are fakes. There are genuine crosses made this way.

Cheers.
    Peter
    Last edited by Peter Wiking; 11-11-2006, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Urban Myth: Iron Crosses w/ non-magnetic (i.e. non-ferrous metals such as brass or zinc) cores were for the Kreigsmarine. This was due to the corrosive, salty air that would damage the cores of the KM issued EKs.

Old wives' tale!

As far as I know, their is no validity to this urban myth.
      -Calvin Hall, repressed Appalachian American.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Comment

The core is magnetic.
        This does not mean that metal objects will stick to the core and function as a magnet.
        It means that a magnet will stick to the core and thus the core is made of a material containing iron.

Cheers.
        Peter

Comment

beginners mistakes.

I am so confused now i think i will give it all up.

Comment

S&L
            The firm of Steinhauer und Lück, located in Lüdenscheid. LDO L/16, PKZ #4. Manufacurer of the RK, DK and EK.

S&M

Comment

All Iron Crosses are genuine .

Seriously. All iron Crosses from certain makers rattle. Not true. Some cores are stuck or rusted to the frame.

Comment

Hello

My contribution is:

I bought it from a dealer, so it must be genuine - they said so

There are good honest dealers out there, and there are dealers who will deliberately sell you a fake. Even the best of the honest dealers occasionally gets caught out and sells a fake.

The advice is, learn your subject. Get as many good reference books on your area of interest and read them. Read the posts in forums like the WAF, and study the pictures. Know your subject as well as, if not better, than the next person. An investment in knowledge will pay dividends in the long run.

Regards
                David

Comment

Hi Peter,
                  Are there any pre 45 one piece RKs that you know of ? Marked or unmarked.Silver or non silver.
                  Cheers Franco

Comment

Originally posted by Franco View Post
                    Are there any pre 45 one piece RKs that you know of ? Marked or unmarked.Silver or non silver.
                    Maybe another misconception! There are no one piece RK of the pre-May 45 period. Ther are, however, genuine non-magnetic and non-silver frame examples.
                    B&D PUBLISHING
                    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Franco View Post
                      Hi Peter,
                      Cheers Franco
                      None of the official RK's are one piece. There are one piece Iron Crosses though.

Peter

Comment

Another common mistake for beginners (and for seasoned collectors sometimes, in fact) -- in a general sense, not just with EKs -- is to be in too much of a hurry to acquire items. This can lead to the purchase of many bad or poor quality pieces. If I had one bit of advice to give collectors, it would be, "Slow down. Study. Don't worry about missing a certain piece. There will always be nice things to get. Take your time in collecting and you will end up with a superb collection."
                        George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson View Post
                          Another common mistake for beginners (and for seasoned collectors sometimes, in fact) -- in a general sense, not just with EKs -- is to be in too much of a hurry to acquire items. This can lead to the purchase of many bad or poor quality pieces. If I had one bit of advice to give collectors, it would be, "Slow down. Study. Don't worry about missing a certain piece. There will always be nice things to get. Take your time in collecting and you will end up with a superb collection."
                          That George is probably the best advice available not only to beginners but to many collectors.
                          Looking for information on RKT KARL HUBER
                          Stoßtruppführer AufKlAbt 20 (mot.)

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'

Comment

C.F Zimmerman, Pforzheim L/52 and 20

Fritz Zimmerman, Stuttgart L/24 and 6

Comment

Thinking you can find a real RK/DKiG on ebay.
                              pseudo-expert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X