Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron Cross Stories

Hello Gentles all...

I have just finished reading an autobiography of a Luftwaffe pilotof JG54, and this piece caught my attention as something of interest to the forum.

"These iron crosses has stories of their own to tell. They were conferred at the discretion of a panel at the rear-area HQ. The unit commander at the front would first submit a recommendation. This would then be scrutinized, evaluated and pronounced upon by the rear-area authority. If granted, the unit commander would be informed by teleprinter. The medal itself would be despatched from the rear by courier, which could take days or even weeks.
    The official date of the award of the decoration, however, was the day of the receipt of the teleprint. Rather than havng to inform a pilot that he had won the iron cross - "but it hasnt turned up yet" - this led to unit commanders pinning their own iron cross on to the breast of the new recipient and being without a medal themselves until the other one had arrived, which in turn they would wear. My own decoration, for example had first been presented to the Kommodore. He then passed it on to my original Staffelkapitan, who in turn handed it over to Emil Lanf, who had now presented it to me."

I have read of this happening in WW1 with the PLM, and also apparently not uncommon the RK in WW2.

Intersting, no ?

Chris

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Originally posted by Chris Jenkins View Post
    ...Intersting, no ?....
    Yes very interesting - and I now consider all my heavily vaulted private purchase pieces... 'potentially awarded'...

Great story Chris - cheers!

Comment

Yes, very informative. Some of the units, especially the Kriegmarine, fashioned their own decorations out of whatever they had in the way of available materials aboard, them being at sea for months away from the mainland for extended perios of time. How many handmade KC's and EK's have we seen, even in photos, of sub commanders wearing handmade KC's? I don't have any documented proof of this but, I heard the ships of the line carried vaults aboard wherein awards were stored for recipinets.

Robert

Comment

If I remember correctly the Canadain War Museum has a RK that was made by german POWs for one of thier u-boat commnders who was captured.

I seem to remember it was very crude, a cut out of a tin can lid and painted to look like a RK.

Comment

Yeah, that's something. I remember too, some time ago I saw a photo of a sub crew with a KC that stood about three or four feet high. It was brought out by the crew upon return into harbor for the gathered cheering crowd to see. It must have been their way of saying, "Been there, and done that." Obviously it was for the commander.

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X