No announcement yet.

Field converted RK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im guessing that because he is in the Luftwaffe then perhaps when he is back at base he has more time for these sorts of things? In between missions etc

Comment

Field worn EK2 as RK

Here are a couple of photos of the awards won by an 88 year old friend of mine who served with the LSSAH from 1938 until 1945. I and another forum member are very lucky to know this man and have interviewed him extensively.

Our friend won the Knights Cross just three weeks before the war's end. Unfortunately he never received an official version of the cross nor where there any official records (to survive that are known of) to proove his having been awarded it. His only proof of having been awarded the RK is his personal account and a full page story of how he won it, that was printed in his hometown newspaper which was cut out and saved for him by his sister.

His RK is a simple EK2 affixed to a very long length of second class ribbon. No changes were made to it, it simply hung from around his neck in this fashion.

I thought you might all enjoy the pictures.

Regards,

Chuck
      Last edited by vonStubben; 03-16-2007, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Some of his other surviving awards.

Comment

The recepient

Here is a photo of him. His face is not shown for privacy reasons while he is still living.

Chuck

Comment

Hi, Sumpf was a bomber pilot w/ KG 100. Yes, it is certainly possible that the portrait was taken post war. Note that the eagle is missing fm his late war flight jacket (denazified?). I have his photo album also, and in the portrait pic he looks the same age as the other pics. Perhaps the portrait was taken very very late in the war or as a POW. No way to tell. It'saneat group though. I purchased this group many years ago fm Detlev Niemann

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X