Help w/ Catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help w/ Catch

This may be a first, and I didn't really know whether to post my query here on the Crosses page or the Luft page. Nevertheless, I bought several months ago a beautiful cased German Cross in Silver (early heavy manufactured type by Zimmermann (20)) from Philipp-Militaria. When I took the DKiS out of its case to examine it, I heard something rattling around under the base cover. I thought that strange since the case's catch, spring, etc., worked fine--so nothing should have come loose there. I turned the case over and shook it slightly. Out through the pin slot falls a catch to a badge, complete with base plate. Thanks for bearing with me to this point. What kind of a badge could this catch possibly have belonged to. My DKiS had its catch properly in place. Perhaps from an earlier DKiS that was home to the case? Doesn't really look like a catch to either a DKiS or DKiG that I'm familiar with. Please see the following photos. Although slightly taller, it looks like the catch to Luft Osang badges. I placed the catch alongside similar catches on a silver Osang-made flight clasp and an Osang-made Luft ground assault. Very similar. Any thoughts? The catch might be helpful to someone who needs to replace a broken one?!
    Last edited by David Sims; 11-18-2006, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hi.
            I think it is from a early 1957 S&L German Cross.

Peter

Comment

Interesting. Begs the question why would someone put a post-war DKiS (S&L) in a wartime case (silver band around edge of case), only to have it come off, and Philipp-Militaria later put a quality "20" wartime DKiS in the case?!

Comment

I,ve seen a few early 1957 pieces put into wartime cases , it,s just the manufacturer,s using up left over stock .

I guess the dealer got this cased 1957 for the case and married it back with a wartime cross .

Comment

I guess the next question would be ... are you sure the case is WW2 manufacture? Have you blacklighted it? How about posting a few pics if you haven't already?

Comment

...or did the case once contain an original wartime German Cross from S&L ?

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X