Paul Meyhauer EKII mm '7'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul Meyhauer EKII mm '7'

I just bought this mm '7' EKII by Paul Meyhauer and wanted to enter it into the archives. From the obverse photo I think you'll be able to see the maker mark well enough that I won't have to give you a macro view.

Robert
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

mm '7'
      Attached Files

Comment

notice the swaz and date on mm7 crosses are slightly higher than many ek2s and I like that.

Comment

Hello,

What a nice cross, I just love the slim and narrow "7" marking just as their EK_1's are marked. The swastika is really nice on this one.

William Kramer
          Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Lim View Post
            notice the swaz and date on mm7 crosses are slightly higher than many ek2s and I like that.
            Yes, the beading is riding up the stepped swas and has lifted up off the core. The '113's have the same pecularity, and I have seen some that have been finished to the point that the silver is laying back on the core again. But others have not been so finished, like this one, and the lifting occurs.

If I'm not mistaken, and I would appreciate being corrected, this is the same maker (Paul Meyhauer) that makes the L/13. I used to have one but gave it to a friend. And I used to have a reference sheet some time ago that gave the designation for every LDO cross. Can anyone post a link here so I can get it back again. I'm confused on this. When I look at the codes for the EKII's I don't find a Meybauer, but a Meyhauer, which is this cross. Meybauer/Meyhauer - are they two different makers both from Berlin?

Robert

Comment

A couple more shots. You will see there is some minor rusting and lifting of paint at 7:00/8:00 from the swas.
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The tool and die makers were awesome craftsmen, not to mention the jewelers. Notice on the photo above how the corners of the frame around the swas have been filed down a bit, but still not enough to cause the frame to lie flat on the core. It's got a more 'rounded' appearance than other '7's I have seen.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's an old shot of the L/13 I gave to my friend. See the inner corners of the frame where they meet the swas - they're filed less. The frame really was off the core on this cross.

And to make things more confusing, I believe there were two different cores used in these crosses. The swas seems the same, but the date a touch different. Any thoughts on this subject would be great right now.???

Robert
                    Attached Files

Comment

To make a correction here. I just learned, still a novice, that there is NO Paul Meyhauer. The official list had a typo error and I got confused. Paul Meybauer is the name, '7' and 'L/13' are synonymous, the same.

Robert

Comment

I mentioned earlier about the 113's having the same pecularity regarding the larger swasi as the 7's or L/13's. Here's an extreme case of a mm 113 that someone posted on the Official EK list in the Crosses forum. I hope no one minds me using it for an example here. But you can see the frame actually riding on TOP of the swas. They were really in a hurry finishing this one...

Robert
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Robert, very interesting observation.
                          This is also the first time I see a frame actually overlaping with the swaz,guess they had too many war heros and too few crosses in stock

Comment

"Here's an extreme case of a mm 113 that someone posted on the Official EK list in the Crosses forum. I hope no one minds me using it for an example here. But you can see the frame actually riding on TOP of the swas."

That's my EK and photo, and I don't mind you using it at all!
                            George

Comment

Thank you George,

It is quite the cross. I would think the recipient was a little shocked as they received it. All I can think when I see these large swasis is the work that went into making the dies, and the frustration the jewelers must have experienced when they realized they made these miscalculations. At that point the dies were already made so they went with what they had. Some filed the frames to fit while others 'grinned and bared it.'

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X