Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver dipped EK's

Hello all,

Well, there sure have been a lot of nice EK's going around and I wanted to know if you believe any of them have been silver dipped prior to the sale?

Please let me know either way. Thank you.

William Kramer
    Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Ek2 Silver Dipped

I have not run into any at the local shows but I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to apply a nice new rhodium finish to one, or just plain old silver cleaner. I had a #7 with all of the paint gone on the core and someone used magic marker to make it look painted. It looked so bad when I got it I justed dipped it in silver cleaner. Wow couldn't beleive the results. Still not original though.
    Regards Rick Schmid

Comment

hi Rick , could you show us the result of dipping your ek into silver cleaner ??
      before and after ?

slim

Comment

Originally posted by RICK S View Post
        ..and someone used magic marker to make it look painted. It looked so bad when I got it...
        There should be laws against such

Peter

Comment

silver dipped ek2

I don't have pics on the before shots you will have to imagine looking at a core with blue black magic marker on it and a frame with just plain old patina. I had no other choice.
          Regards Rick Schmid
          Attached Files

Comment

silver dipped #7

rear
            Attached Files

Comment

silver dipped #7

ring & mark
              Attached Files

Comment

STRIKING pictures mate ...i guess us ek collectors have to be even more extra careful now , this really makes you think

slim

Comment

another thought , has anybody got a method of puting the finish on the beading !! people could be refinnishing eks turning the average into minty examples or is this just wishful thinking

slim

Comment

Originally posted by SLIM View Post
                    STRIKING pictures mate ...i guess us ek collectors have to be even more extra careful now , this really makes you think

slim
                    I dunno slim...what would the dipping do to a cross with a good core? Repaints are (usually) easy enough to pick out, so if the cross looked like this, it'd be a dead giveaway.

best
                    Hank
                    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

your right hank , i must be spending to much time online ...got to get some sleep .......#

slim

Comment

silver dipped ek2

I think the the next time I come across a badly painted core un-marked
                        I would like to try to disassemble it take out the core , paint it, them re-solder it. I will take before & after shots.
                        Regards Rick Schmid

Comment

Dipping would probably be more appropriate for things like wound badges and things that are generally just silver coloured . Too much hassle for anything else i`d think.

Comment

For what it's worth.

Not every EKI or EKII had frosted beading.

The cores can be carefully painted , if need be , while still assembled in the frame.

Good luck unsoldering and resoldering after stove enamaling the core. Regular paint will not withstand the heat from resoldering. What the heat didn't degrade the pickling afterwards to remove the flux residue will.

Just some thoughts.

Tony
                            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by RICK S View Post
                              I think the the next time I come across a badly painted core un-marked
                              I would like to try to disassemble it take out the core , paint it, them re-solder it. I will take before & after shots.
                              Regards Rick Schmid
                              I think you would ruin it even more.

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X