Gielsmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I go for the "light" or for the "heavy"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I go for the "light" or for the "heavy"?

Hello friends,

I'm thinking about buying my first (and normally last) german cross.
    Now, I have a question for the german cross gentlemens here on the board:
    should I go for the heavy version or for the light?
    Some opinions would help me a lot.

Thanks,

Nico

Hello

If your budget allows it try and get one of each !! I can only give you my personal opinion here - at the end of the day it is down to you to choose a DK which you like, are happy with and at a price you can afford.

However, as I have a beautiful Zimmerman lightweight DKiG I am bound to say go for the lightweight version. Most of the DKs that I have seen coming up for sale have been lightweight versions, although if you check out a couple of the reputable German dealers sites there are a a couple of the earlier heavyweight DKs around at present. Again, based only on what I have observed on some dealers sites, the heavyweights tend to be slightly more expensive than the lightweights, so again, if budget is a restraining factor go for the lightweight.

This is purely my own personal opinion. Quite seriously, if you can afford one of each go for it. Otherwise, and as I say I am probably biased here, my preference is for the lightweight. Just to help, here is a photo of mine, (sorry it's a little bit over exposed making some of the colours a bit bright !).

Regards
    David
    Attached Files

Comment

Are you restricting yourself only to those by Zimmermann?

Rich
      Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
      Decorations of Germany

Comment

That is a very nice DKiG DavidM!

Comment

I noticed some nice crosses on the site of a german dealer (gordon, he also has you website in his links ;-) ). He offers Deschler & Sohn, Zimmermann and 1 Godet. I like his light Zimmermann and 1 of his Deschler & Sohn crosses.
          Both have lots of appeal, but I was wondering if once in the hand,is there a difference of "quality" feeling between a light Zimmermann and the heavy Deschler & Sohn?
          I could post a link to the dealers site, but I do not know if this is allowed....

Nico

Comment

Originally posted by Sonderkommando View Post
            I could post a link to the dealers site, but I do not know if this is allowed....
            I don't think there is a problem with posting links for an item you want to discuss.

Personally I find the Deschlers and Godet's the nicest of all the DK's. I have never found one when funds were available but still would like to add one some day.

As for now, I have this cased '134' piece.

Rich
            Last edited by Rich G; 12-10-2006, 03:17 PM.
            Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
            Decorations of Germany

Comment

Hello

Richard, that is one very, very nice Otto Klien DK. Did they only do the DK in a lightweight, four rivet version? I ask as I have never seen anything other than the lightweights from this manufacturer.

Sonderkommando, now you can see the problem that faces you in choosing a DK !!

Regards
              David

Comment

Funny I have just finished reading a book 'panzer commander' the memoirs of Colonel Hans Von Luck. The german cross in Gold is mentioned here and he states that its one of the most unattractive awards , and refers to it as the fried egg Just a mention as I came accross this thread, personally I think they are the business Nice awards gents.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X