DKiG weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DKiG weights

Hey Guys, Heres a question for all the DKiG gurus. I saw in the refrence section the given weights for the various makers of the cross. Are examples supposed to be exactly the same weight or what is an acceptable range in the weight. Like how many 1/10's of a gram is ok.

bubi,

Nothing will always be exactly the same as the wear and materials were often different, even in minor amounts. I would say if your DK is within a few grams of known limits, it would still be acceptable provided the wear indicators supported the measurements.

Weight should be only one identifiying trait when validating an item and then IMO, not the most important one I would rely upon as wear does make a difference. You need to know what you're looking at and the particular die faults or individual traits for that manufacturer and that specific piece.
    Tim

Comment

DKiG weight of 74 grams

Gentlemen:

I just read the thread referenced below in which the particular example has been deemed a reproduction/fake. See here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=DKiG+weights

I am wondering if there is any knowledge or documentation of other early (ie. "heavy") Zimmerman "20-marked" DKiGs with a weight of 74 grams which are considered to be period originals?

Thanks in advance.

John

Comment

Bumping this one back to the top in the hope that a knowledgeable fellow collector or two might be able to shed some light on my question regarding DKiGs that weigh-in at 74 grams and whether or not period originals of this weight are known to have been produced.

I do not yet own a copy of Dietrich Maerz's new DKiG book, so perhaps someone who has one could have a peek there and check on this for me.
        If you happen to see this thread, Dietrich, I would greatly appreciate your comment.

Best regards,

John

Comment

John,

the cross you referenced as a heavy 20 was (and is) a fake. So that weight is completely irrelevant. It is not a fake because of the weight but rather because it is not even close to a enuine Zimmermann, light or heavy (no difference form the obverse anyway).

The heaviest DK I have in my database is a Godet with 71.4 gr. Now that was on my scale. Your scale might show 70.9 or even 72.1. So there is a tolerance which is a combination of wear and tear and the quality of the equipment.

Further more: the lightest Deschler is nearly as heavy as a heavy Juncker. So to talk about weight only makes sense in combination with the maker!

Dietrich
          B&D PUBLISHING
          Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Your comments make perfect sense, Dietrich, and I am really grateful for your response. Thank you.

My interest purely related to a DKiG weight in the 74 gram range and I wondered if genuine examples with that weight are known to have been produced.

I do have a Zimmermann that - on the scales at my local post office - showed that weight. At this time I am not able to post pictures. However, as soon as I am I will do so, in order that it might be discussed and assesed - as you indicate - in combination with the maker.

Best regards,

John

Comment

Hello all,

I have a Deschler that weighs 71.38 grams on a scale owned by my friend. I am pretty sure it is correct, but I would like to know if this is correct for this maker.

Please let me know either way. Thank you.

William Kramer
              Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

DKig

Should be 70.5 grams so close enough.
                Last edited by Tony K; 05-17-2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony K View Post
                  Should be 70.5 grams so close enough.
                  Thank you for taking the time to address my question.

William Kramer
                  Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

DKiG "20" at 74 grams

Further to my postings 3, 4 & 6 above, and those of Dietrich Maerz in #5 above, I am now in a position to post pictures of my referenced DKiG for discussion and assessment as to whether it is a period original or not.

Thank you, in advance.

John
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by jwburchell; 09-09-2010, 05:51 PM.

Comment

More pix
                      Attached Files

Comment

More pix:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hinge:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Not original IMHO.

Dietrich
                            B&D PUBLISHING
                            Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Thanks for your response, Dietrich. I forgot to post a picture of the maker mark (see below)...but that will not likely turn the tide on this one.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X