Need some help with EKs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help with EKs

I posted an earlier thread and did not get a responce. So I will try once again.

I am pretty certain that I have recieved several fakes in the mail. I have researched a couple threads and matched at least one of the EK1s to a repo pictured in the forum- a brass one piece copy. I am incredibly leary of 4 other EK1s and plan on sending all of them back.

I would still like an opinion on the other EKs to learn what anyone can tell me about spotting fakes and if they have seen them before.

The problem is that I do not have a great digital camera and cannot post the pics directly to the forum. I would like to forward an email sent by the dealer to anyone who is willing to take a look.

As a new collector the forum is invaluable to me as a reference source. Thanks once again.

Jerry
    Jerry

Dear Jerry,

Please forward to frank.heukemes@freenet.de
    I will take a look at them.

Cheers, Frank
    Cheers, Frank

Comment

One way to spot fakes is take a look at known real EK's, handle EK's as much as you can. Read, Read and ask. This forum will probably be the best investment you can make being in this hobby, next of course will be hard bound references.
      Greg

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

Here are JerryĀ“s EKs.

The first one is named by the seller "Navy EK". Jerry, this one is a fake, as you assumed.
        Cheers, Frank

Comment

Reverse of that "Navy Cross"
          Attached Files
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

Next one is called "Beveled EK". This one looks good, I am missing a reverse pic though. The core might be repainted, take a closer look.
            Attached Files
            Cheers, Frank

Comment

This one is called "EK with early thin pin". The exact contrary is the truth. This one should be rather "extremely late thin pin". It is definitely a post 1945 copy with a pin like that.
              Attached Files
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

reverse
                Attached Files
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

Next one I call "orange tag EK" because of that orange coloured tag the seller used for that pic, Jerry will know what I mean with that (I edited the pics and cut away some flange)
                  This one is a good one.
                  Attached Files
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

reverse of "orange tag" EK1. Looks good.
                    Attached Files
                    Cheers, Frank

Comment

Reverse of the "Beveled EK" shown earlier. As expected it looks good. Note that "orange tag" and "beveled" are from the same maker. You should go for the better one in this case, if you donĀ“t need two from the same maker (one is beveled though).

Cheers, Frank
                      Cheers, Frank

Comment

The Beveled Cross is marked L55 on the backside of the pin. The stamp is oriented widthwise to pin, and not lengthwise. It is about halfway down where the pin gets the thickest. Additonally, the pin does not rotate past 90 degrees.

The guy said he had the crosses wrapped in vasolene - hence the shine. I tried to get as much off, but it still is pretty obvious. I am not sure what to think of that.

There is one more screwback that is not pictured. It is marked L/21 on the screw. (Is plausible to have an original cross and a different screw?)I have seen a couple dubious theads about this particular mark recently. I will try and get a picture. It is definitely 3 piece construction but is missing the securing post. Another thing: I notice that the 9 on the date is slightly lower than 193.

Thanks for the information. My guy tells me to just return them and take the cost of shipping as a cheap first lesson.

Thanks again

Jerry
                        Jerry

Comment

Jerry, just curious how did you buy these? Did you pick them or did your guy just send them to you?
                          Greg

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

Dear Jerry,

Anything marked on the screw of a screwback EK OTHER than L/58 is bogus. To the best of my EK knowledge, Souval was the only maker that marked on the screwplate itself.

Cheers, Frank
                            Cheers, Frank

Comment

The pin of the orange tag is marked 100. It is a very light stamp as comared to L55 on beveled cross. Is either one more desireable than the other?

Once again thanks for the help.

Jerry
                              Jerry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X