Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DKiG Group with Formal Document

GERMAN CROSS GROUP

I am posting this group for review and hope it is a winner. It consist of a cased heavy Zimmerman DKiG, the formal award document, and its envelope.

THE CROSS
    It is the “heavy” Zimmerman style weighing in at 69.8 grams in tombak and marked 20 on the underside of the pin. It is as if worn on the uniform. The ribs of the cross show wear.
    Attached Files

Back
    Attached Files

Comment

THE CASE
      This case measures about 107 x 109 cm if I did my conversion correctly. It weighs 96.3 grams empty. The sides have a gold stripe around the top and the bottom is beveled. It is black leatherette, has a padded satin case lining, vaulted black flocking, and brass hinge. It weighs 96.3 grams empty
      Attached Files

Comment

Forgot the pin details!
        Attached Files

Comment

Details of Case
          Attached Files

Comment

THE AWARD DOCUMENT
            The formal award is to MAJOR D.R., RUDOLF BALZER, KOMMANDEUR PZ.JG.ABT.561 and dated 20 APRIL 1942. The award was instituted in late 1941 so this may be considered an earlier award document. The D.R. stands for Der Reserves and the unit is Panzerjäger-Abteilungen 561 or 561st Anti-Tank Battalion. Limited information indicates an anti-tank battalion consisted of three companies. Each company was formed of 3 platoons and each platoon typically consisted of 2 self propelled and one towed unit. It is signed by Keitel and to me, the signature is dead on. The lettering on this document compares favorably with the documents shown on the WAC reference site.

The document is large and I am not sure how well the detail will show. This image was made by joining two separate scans and that is why you will probably see a line through the middle. I have provided some more detailed images of for your consideration.
            Attached Files

Comment

Detail 1
              Attached Files

Comment

Detail 2
                Attached Files

Comment

All's well, great items!
                  WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Detail 3
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am having major issues getting this thread placed tonight!
                      THE ENVELOPE
                      Here is a unique aspect of the group – an award envelope. I have never seen an example of this before. Was this award made in the field and mailed home? Hopefully someone can enlighten me about this. Balzer may have mailed it back to his home address via Feldpost as stamped. The envelope is old and faded and repaired with tape. There is a paper sticker with a red capital R and it says “Berlin- Grunwald 2 followed with a stamp of 587 h”. It has an circular ink stamp with an eagle on the bottom left hand corner. It was addressed to the Major in “Flinteuberg”. No postage stamps but a postal mark of “Berlin- Grune????” What do you make of this part of the story?
                      Attached Files

Comment

THE HISTORY
                        I have not been successful in finding much information on the man or his unit. An inquiry into the WAC Panzer group resulted in no replies. He is listed in the standard reference for DKiG recipients. Simon Orchard has been kind enough to provide some information on the unit, a portion of which is shown below.

Panzerjäger-Abteilung 561 (from 1 Apr 40)
                        3 Mar 41 transferred from 1st Army, Army Group D to Army Group B
                        22 Jun 41 Ninth Army Reserves, Army Group Center (4.7cm SP guns (1 platoon of 4x 2.8cm sPzB 41))
                        10 Jul 41 LVII Panzer Corps, 3rd Panzer Group, Army Group Center
                        15 Jul 41 9th Army reserve, Army Group Center
                        20 Jul 41 XX Corps, 9th Army, Army Group Center
                        24, 29 Jul 41 V Corps, 9th Army, Army Group Center
                        4, 10, 19, 22, 27, 29, 31 Aug 41 V Corps, 9th Army, Army Group Center
                        2, 3, 6, 11 Sep 41 V Corps, 9th Army, Army Group Center
                        29 Sep 41 9th Army, Army Group Center
                        24 Dec 41 9th Army, Army Group Center
                        3 Jan 42 VI Corps, 9th Army, Army Group Center
                        5 Jan 1942 2./ attached to 216th Infantry Division, VI Corps, 9th Army, Army Group Center

Army Group B was renamed Army Group Centre on 22 June 1941. It was one of three German army formations assigned to the invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941. It appears this battalion was involved with actions around Bjeloje and Rshew, Russia.

There are 12 matches in the German War Graves database for this name. Only one is a possible match for this man and it is not definitive. The listing is missing the rank and any other details that might be useful. I personally think that he survived the war. It does not look like he went on to win the RK.

SUMMARY
                        (1) the award itself is an original early heavy Zimmerman, much rarer than the later light version
                        (2) a heavy model Zimmerman is consistent with the award date on the document,
                        (3) the case is the large model
                        (4) Major Balzer is listed in the standard reference, although there is a one day difference between the date on the award and that in the books. I lost my photocopy of the reference page.
                        (6) the award date ties to the history of this unit,
                        (7) the award document is high quality. The DKiG on it has the expected detail, the signature looks good, it measures at what would be expected, and the penmanship is very similar to known originals.

I find this group very believable but would like your opinion. There is no way to prove the cross itself belongs with the document. Going through the various threads on the DKiG on WAC I find 20 pages of articles listed on the award itself but less than a handful of threads on the award document. Maybe this is a good time to share and compare? Apparently the document is seriously rarer than the award itself.

If anyone has a copy of the List of Honor showing this award. A copy would be gratefully accepted and an original would be purchased if for sale. I could use your opinion on the group as well as information or pointers on where to obtain information on Major Balzer and the unit during the time period under question. If this is the real thing, I have a hard time placing a value on the group and would like your ideas on this as well. It strikes me as a very unique and rare group if authentic which I think it is.

Thanks for taking a look, your objective opinions, and any help you can give me on my questions.

Happy Hunting,
                        Richard

Comment

Hi Richard,

If Major Balzer survived the war I should be able to get you a copy of his full personnel record one day during the week of 11 - 15 September. It's not a sure thing, but I've had pretty good success on my research attempts. I do charge a fee for this service so if you are interested shoot me an e-mail at soldat4@cox.net or call me tomorrow evening at (660) 238-7113 and I'll go over the details with you. I'm in Virginia also so no issues with time zones.

Hope I can help

Regards!!

Bob Ruzzier

BTW, this goes for anyone else who wants Army officer and/or SS officer and enlisted men researched.

Comment

very special set, well done

Comment

Very nice items !!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X