Clear All

Iron Cross Book???

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST IRON CROSS REFERENCE BOOK ??? THANKS MATT

Originally posted by Matthew J. View Post
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST IRON CROSS REFERENCE BOOK ??? THANKS MATT
    Two stand out:

1. IRON CROSS of 1939
    Gordon Williamson
    This extensive study, the result of many years of painstaking research, provides the collector and historian with an in-depth analysis of all grades of the 1939 issue of the most famous military decoration of all time. As well as covering all major variants of the Iron Cross itself, miniatures, presentation cases and award documents with many of their variants are also included. Special emphasis has been placed on the various manufacturers, to include their markings and the miniscule but unique die characteristics of their products.
    As a special bonus, the German Cross in Gold and Honor Roll Clasps and the post-war 1957 versions of all of these awards are examined in detail.
    496 pages -962 photos (many in color) -deluxe binding

2. The Iron Time: A History of The Iron Cross boasts over one thousand color photographs and catalogs the rise and fall of arguably the most reknown military decoration ever established, the Iron Cross of Prussia and Germany.
    Four years of research trace the history of this decoration through Germany and her many military museums. Rare Iron Crosses belonging to the kaisers, kings and political leaders of nineteenth- and twentieth-century Germany are featured in expansive and detailed photo studies.
    Unusual and unknown stories of famous and infamous personalities including America’s Clara Barton and Nazi Germany’s Adolf Hitler reveal ties to the Iron Cross thought improbable and incredible.
    A full exposé of award documents, related military decorations, cases and histories are explored. Complete lists of makers and their corresponding die-stamped marks fill the extensive glossaries.
    Beyond standard reference materials, The Iron Time features interviews with several of Germany’s highest decorated combat veterans of the Second World War. Their stories are at once chilling in detail and honest in assessment.
    The author, Stephen Thomas Previtera, is a collector of medals and decorations from many countries. This is his first book. The author states, “I wanted to write a book for collectors by a collector. It turned out to be more compelling a journey than I ever imagined. More than iron and silver, this is the story of flesh and bone. The last thing I would call the Iron Cross is an inanimate object.”
    Contributing collections included the Library of Congress, West Point Military Museum, and German history museums in Rastatt, Ingolstadt, Freiburg and Berlin, Germany respectively.
    <!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

However, both are out of print and are highly sought after. Keep your eyes (and pocketbook) ready

Comment

THANKS Darrell!!!!

Comment

Keep your eyes peeled here as well:

http://www.bender-publishing.com/

Gordon Williamson has Bender working on the IRON CROSS of 1914 if WW1 EK's are your cup of tea. Expect this one out soon.

P.S. Order from Bender and you get 20% off the prices of all his books ... just tell him you're a WAF Association Member

Comment

Buy both if you can but if you could only afford one then I would get 'The Iron Time'.

Regards ...

Comment

Originally posted by hagwalther View Post
            Buy both if you can but if you could only afford one then I would get 'The Iron Time'.

Regards ...
            Word has it that both are being revised ... however, don't expect those out for a few years at least ....

Comment

Vern Bowen's book is a must have. The pics aren't as nice as Williamson or Pre4vitera but the info is priceless. No one book will cover it all, get as many as you can.

I believe there's one on e-stand at the moment.

Tony
              An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

From my point of view both books are necesary... when ever you can buy both...
                Regards
                Fernando

Comment

Blue Book

Who wrote the little Blue Book about Iron Crosses? Was it Prowse? I have a signed one somewhere at home. The three books mentioned above are all a must in my opinion, but if you want additional reading, Williamson has written other books on Iron Crosses, more general in nature than the above mentioned, but still good books, so has Angolia, his are about Knight's Cross winners. You can't have too many books in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by ekhunter View Post
                    You can't have too many books in my opinion.

That about says it all if you really want to learn and are going to be a serious collector.

Tony
                    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

just bought Gordon´s book on ebay for $89. Steep, but being out of print...

Hope to get a real education with this book

Comment

question, is Iron Time also a book with a collectors perspective, or more historical survey?

Comment

Both! Definetely worth having!

Dietrich
                          B&D PUBLISHING
                          Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

I think the one from Heukemes Publishing is being prepared by now is it not?`I wonder how long shall we wait... I am growing impatient

Comment

Originally posted by Okrach View Post
                              I think the one from Heukemes Publishing is being prepared by now is it not?`I wonder how long shall we wait... I am growing impatient
                              I believe the one you are thinking about is the topic of RKs .. which the D-man is heading up

You can read more here about it:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=160297

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X