Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonderkommando
    Nice Cross!!

I wish I had one (even a post-war like this one )

Nico
    Danke Nico.
    I hope you get a good Type B S&L or eventually a wartime RK, which myself is trying to afford/find the right one.
    Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by IMPERIAL QUEST
      why would someone want a post war example... Just curious as to what the attraction is to an "after the fact" piece.
      I agree Steven - the amount of money paid for post-war and '57 examples etc is beyond my comprehension as they are of no value to me except as mere baubles for 'dressing' my uniforms. The 'value' to me is in the fact that an item was issued and worn during the war. Whether it's made in 1946 from original dies and spare parts or if it was made in Taiwan last week IMO anything post-45 should be in a section by itself.

Comment

Last edited by IMPERIAL QUEST; 08-23-2006, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried
          I agree Steven - the amount of money paid for post-war and '57 examples etc is beyond my comprehension as they are of no value to me except as mere baubles for 'dressing' my uniforms. The 'value' to me is in the fact that an item was issued and worn during the war. Whether it's made in 1946 from original dies and spare parts or if it was made in Taiwan last week IMO anything post-45 should be in a section by itself.
          It is to fill your cup half way full until you have saved the $10,000 for a real wartime issue RK.

Comment

"why would someone want a post war example... Just curious as to what the attraction is to an "after the fact" piece."

People collect what they want to collect. Isn't that what a hobby is all about -- a personal pleasure? No one should have to justify what they acquire to anyone else. (Just MHO )
            George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
              "why would someone want a post war example... Just curious as to what the attraction is to an "after the fact" piece."

People collect what they want to collect. Isn't that what a hobby is all about -- a personal pleasure? No one should have to justify what they acquire to anyone else. (Just MHO )
              George, I wasn't looking for justification, I was only attempting to start a dialogue or conversation on differing views, but I guess that is not possible. I guess I should learn to curb my inquisitive nature. I am very very sorry that I ever posted in this forum, and I will remove my posts to this thread. Lesson learned, I apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by Maj. Konig
                It is to fill your cup half way full until you have saved the $10,000 for a real wartime issue RK.
                I don't disagree with this 'better than nothing' approach, it's just the amount spent. When I see a thread entitled 'My first RK!!' I think that a collector like myself has scraped enough money together for the real deal - which would be impressive (to me at least). I wouldn't broadcast the fact that I had just spent a small fortune on a replica. Yes people can collect what they want George - but they cannot limit the comments that they solicit to purely favourable ones.

Comment

Steven

there is no need to apologize and no need to erase anything - it's a legitimate question and George's answer (and any other answer for that matter) is a legitimate answer (or rather opinion)

There are so many aspects of this and any other hobby!

Some like mint, some like used with patina. Some like to have the real thing, some are happy with a very good representation. Some collect Imperial, some only Third Reich. Some collect Star Wars Memorabilia...

Important IMHO is only that each collector knows what he has, bought it willingly and knowingly and is happy with it.
                  B&D PUBLISHING
                  Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz
                    Steven

there is no need to apologize and no need to erase anything - it's a legitimate question and George's answer (and any other answer for that matter) is a legitimate answer (or rather opinion)

There are so many aspects of this and any other hobby!

Some like mint, some like used with patina. Some like to have the real thing, some are happy with a very good representation. Some collect Imperial, some only Third Reich. Some collect Star Wars Memorabilia...

Important IMHO is only that each collector knows what he has, bought it willingly and knowingly and is happy with it.
                    Hi,
                    I am sorry, I already deleted them. My whole experience in this thread has been total opposite of what I had intended and I thought it best that I just bow out of the conversation. Despite the nastiness and accusations that I experienced, I tried to salvage what I could and attempted to turn it to a positive conversation, but I still got the impression that only "thumbs up" points of view were welcomed. I am not angry, nor am I bitter...just a little wiser.

Yours respectfully,

Comment

If these post war RK's are still thousands of dollars, and the real goal is to eventually afford a war time one, wouldn't the money be better off added to the war time RK fund? Just wondering?

Comment

I don't disagree with this 'better than nothing' approach, it's just the amount spent. When I see a thread entitled 'My first RK!!' I think that a collector like myself has scraped enough money together for the real deal - which would be impressive (to me at least). I wouldn't broadcast the fact that I had just spent a small fortune on a replica. Yes people can collect what they want George - but they cannot limit the comments that they solicit to purely favourable ones.
                        Alright. I'll agree with you that Stephen probably should have labeled his thread "Post War RK" or something like that. But your thread earlier about 57 Crosses, I do disagree with. The men who were awarded these military medals during the war and still served in the military after the war, were not allowed to wear their wartime medals. The 1957 medals came about for those still serving in the Military to wear their medals that they were awarded in WWII. Hence, the 57 RK for example. So, many of the pieces that are collected, particularly the very early pieces, were those that were worn by these same men, because that is all the law would allow. It's all about the history. Just because it wasn't a wartime piece, and is a 57, doesn't diminish the accomplishment required to have recieved it in the first place. Now, with later 57 pieces, well, I guess people collect those to have representative pieces, I guess to each his own!

Comment

Super super super indeed.

Comment

I didn't really spend as much as you would have thought I did. No where near the normal $1K range that you see these items going.

And yes I should have labeled it "Post War RK".

Comment

I say enjoy the medal. It's a nice representative piece for sure.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X