2nd class Spange, fake or treasure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd class Spange, fake or treasure?

Could anyone please give me their opinion on this badge? I know that it is an early tombac version, unmarked. I don't see many with the squared-off pronge ends like this. Most of them I have seen are cut with a point left for penetrating the WWl EK ribbon. I would appreciate the help with this piece. Thank you in advance.

Robert

the reverse...

Comment

Robert, I really couldn't say if this is good or bad. I simply do not have one nor do I know much about them. One thing does ring some alarm bells and that is the abundant use of the file on the edges. Seems a trait of a lot of the new repros these days.

Just an observation, please do not read anything into it. I'm sure soon more of the experienced spange collectors will give you plenty of info.

Rich
      Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
      Decorations of Germany

Comment

I think it looks like a good spange.

Comment

On second thought, after studying my own some more I agree with Richard`s statement.
          But please note that I am far from an expert.

Comment

Interesting spange, conforms neither with the good known ones I have on file nor with known fakes I have on file. Doesn´t look really bad to me although the overzealous file job is indeed something to notice

Maybe Gordon has seen this one before?

Cheers, Frank
            Cheers, Frank

Comment

On the whole I tend to think it is probably OK. Spange can be difficult as the fakes are getting really good, but there is nothing specific about this one that rings any particular alarm bells.
              The over enthusiastic filing to the edges is something I've seen on plenty of good pieces including the first class first pattern Spange with the curved edges to the date bar, so that in itself wouldn't concern me.

Unless we suddenly see a whole load of identical pieces hit the market at once, I'm inclined to go for it being OK.

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you, Gordon, for your opinion to this badge's authenticity. In the past I have had both 1st and 2nd class spanges, and like you mentioned, it is really hard to tell the real from the well made fakes-especially for me. I have watched the threads looking for educational information to help me learn the difference. I recently sold a MINT 2nd class L/56 Spange with it's original long ribbon (unattached). The buyer was really concerned whether or not it was real because it was in such stone-mint condition. All I could tell him was that it was from Detlev Niemann's site. And I have great trust in Detlev's dedication to authenticity. Tell me, is there anyone with a better track record/reputation? I did see a photo of a 2nd class with the identical square-ended prongs in the book, 'The Iron Time', pg. 245. It was an early type with the concave-ended trapazoid, and the prongs really looked to be made of bare brass ( maybe from wear).
                There are die-stamp markings on my spange, which to me, help in determining whether it is a modern day cast piece or an original die-forged piece. The marks are really sharp and clean like so many of my other early-period badges I have. The welds to the prongs are real neat. And above all it has an authentic aged look to it. It looks really old. If you have any other examples of spanges, I would appreciate seeing them if it is not much trouble. If not, I thank you again for the help with this.

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X