Deutsches Kreuz in Gold "10 rivets"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold "10 rivets"

Dietrich asked me to post pictures of my - lately in a german forum published - german cross in gold.
    it is a very early example and belonged to the later oakleaves-holder Robert Georg Freiherr von Malapert gen. Neufville.

v. Malapert was the very first to receive this award for outstanding actions in poland, france, crete, africa and russia.

enjoy!
    Last edited by StefanK.; 04-06-2009, 10:36 AM.

now this is a bit more interesting.....
    Last edited by StefanK.; 04-06-2009, 10:36 AM.

Comment

for those who can read german....
      Last edited by StefanK.; 04-06-2009, 10:37 AM.

Comment

v. malapert with a proud grin....
        Last edited by StefanK.; 04-06-2009, 10:37 AM.

Comment

December 1941
          Last edited by StefanK.; 04-06-2009, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Dear Stefan,

Absolutely stunning piece and very rare to boot! Thanks for showing this piece. I have only seen 2, one in a book and one other that I was fortunate to handle. They weigh a TON! No wonder thay went to the lighter version!

Gary B
            ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

There are only a few pices that stick out of the masses of produced (and more often not even awarded) DK's and RK's and even higher awards. This is such a piece! It's not a sample of what was awarded, it is a piece of history - personal history and manufacturing history! A absolute stunner and a one of a kind!

Thanks for posting, Stef!

Dietrich
              B&D PUBLISHING
              Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by StefanK.
                December 1941
                Who is that one in the pic?
                WOW, he has recieved so many awards...i wonder why he doesnt have a RK...
                Last edited by Tiger89; 07-14-2006, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Stefan.

I remember that very same DK was sold by an English dealer (still trading) in August 1992. As I recall, it was being sold for ******163;3,000 GBP at that time. I think the photos etc. were with it at that time too.

It was advertised as being the first ever awarded DK in Gold, presented on 12.12.41. That's what the engraved 'I' above the name was meant to signify.

However, the first 38 DKs in Gold were awarded on 18.10.41.

It's a very nice and rare type of DK, but I always wondered about the engraving.

Do you know anything more about it?
                  Last edited by Robin Lumsden; 07-14-2006, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger89
                    Who is that one in the pic?
                    WOW, he has recieved so many awards...i wonder why he doesnt have a RK...
                    Please sit back, relax, and just don't look at the pictures but also read the text from Stef. Might be helpfull...
                    B&D PUBLISHING
                    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz
                      Please sit back, relax, and just don't look at the pictures but also read the text from Stef. Might be helpfull...
                      Yes, but i wasnt sure if Malapert was the one in that pic

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden
                        Stefan.

I remember that very same DK was sold by an English dealer (still trading) in August 1992. As I recall, it was being sold for ******163;3,000 GBP at that time. I think the photos etc. were with it at that time too.

It was advertised as being the first ever awarded DK in Gold, presented on 12.12.41. That's what the engraved 'I' above the name was meant to signify.

However, the first 38 DKs in Gold were awarded on 18.10.41.

It's a very nice and rare type of DK, but I always wondered about the engraving.

Do you know anything more about it?
                        Robin, I am sure that you have seen this thread before:
                        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=126058

Member D.S.'s computer database showed the first 7 recipients (including VON MALAPERT) were on the 15.10.41.
                        They perhaps each received an engraved "1" DKIG.
                        Would the 12/12/41 be the presentation date, but not the awarded date?
                        Regards,
                        Last edited by robert39; 07-15-2006, 03:27 PM.

Comment

The award was (photo) credited to a Col. K. Farnes at one time as referenced in Forman's book.

The current picture shows some 'abrasion' of the surface near the "1" that wasn't eveident in the older picture. Perhaps someone at some time was attempting to test the patina.
                          Regards,
                          Dave

Comment

Last edited by robert39; 07-15-2006, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
                              The award was (photo) credited to a Col. K. Farnes at one time as referenced in Forman's book.

The current picture shows some 'abrasion' of the surface near the "1" that wasn't eveident in the older picture. Perhaps someone at some time was attempting to test the patina.

That's right. I believe Keith Farnes may have been the person who bought it from the English dealer in 1992. At least, it was credited to Col. Farnes AFTER I saw it in the dealer list.

Does anyone still have Alan Beadle's catalogues from 1992? One of them will show this DK.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X