Numbered EK2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbered EK2?

Last summer while in Europe, I was offered an EK2 with the correct ribbon that had white numbers hand painted onto the rear at the bottom in white. The numbering looked like it had been done in a water soluble paint such as white wash (or even White Out!). I had never seen it before. Is this type of numbering authentic?

The cross itself looked nice. It was very good quality but not knowing exactly how to tell a fake from an original, I declined to buy it at the time. I'm going back to this place again and may take another look at it if its still there. I'll bring along Robin Lumsden's excellent book "Detecting the Fakes" for the authentication. Any advice about the white hand numbering would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Mauser HSc; 07-03-2006, 10:08 PM.

White painted numbers would NOT be original.

Hank
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by Mauser HSc
      Last summer while in Europe, I was offered an EK2 with the correct ribbon that had white numbers hand painted onto the rear at the bottom in white. The numbering looked like it had been done in a water soluble paint such as white wash (or even White Out!). I had never seen it before. Is this type of numbering authentic?

The cross itself looked nice. It was very good quality but not knowing exactly how to tell a fake from an original, I declined to buy it at the time. I'm going back to this place again and may take another look at it if its still there. I'll bring along Robin Lumsden's excellent book "Detecting the Fakes" for the authentication. Any advice about the white hand numbering would be appreciated.
      I would pass on the cross or atleast take pictures and post them.
      Sounds like an "artist" got bored and found some white paint.
      Genuine EKII's are marked on the rings. Third Reich examples are "stamped" with numbers
      3,4, 65...etc. There are also L-codes for private purchase pieces. Mint crosses have "frosted" beading which sometimes appears as paint. I know this isn't the case but wanted to point it out. I own Robin's book but it doesn't go into much detail about crosses. I suggest purchasing Gordon Williamson's "The Iron Cross of 1939". This should get you started.This forum has a wealth of knowledge and shouldn't be ignored.

Comment

Museums will mark thier items this way. It could be a piece that was once in a museum and has been deaccessioned (or stolen and sold by an employee).
        I don't think Robin's book will help you though unless it is a very old fake. While good for its time, there are new and better books on the ek out there.
        pseudo-expert

Comment

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your replies. The museum explanation sounds likely as the shopkeeper was keeping the EK2 under wraps in a drawer.

I'll stay away from it!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X