Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schinkel EK2 - detail of number 1

Hi guys,

In this thread, I would like to hear your opinions on a Schinkel EK2 that is currently for sale on a German dealer website, good ol' Carsten Staegemeir .

Anyways, the Schinkel cross in general is like a new world to me and I try to learn more about the characteristics. For this example, I have questions on the different finish on reverse and obverse, but also on the shape of the number 1. A recent seach on the forum and thanks to some members as well, I compared some crosses and found out that often, the bottom of the number one is flat. In the following example, the bottom of the number one is not flat and has some kind of 'dent' (even slightly scalloped?). Is that normal, or does it automatically mean that such a cross is a fake cross?

I would love to hear your opinions and learn from that...

Thank you for any input!
    Laurens

obverse detail:
    Attached Files

Comment

reverse detail:
      Attached Files

Comment

Laurens,

There are two styles of Schinkel type A date numerals. There are those that that are more 'conventional' with the flat base on the 1 and the 'balls' at the ends of the 3s and 9s. Then there is the second style variation without the 'balls' and the peaked base on the 1 such as you show.

Both are genuine Schinkel types. I have both style of numerals on original medal bars.

Tony
        An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Thanks for the reply Tony!
          I was told to take a look at our own pages as well(http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/iron...roncross_2.htm), were both variations are presented. I first believed they represented type A and type B, but this is thus not the case...

Comment

You're welcome Laurens,

The type B is an all together different variant Schinkel.

Tony
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X