New Member . Iron Cross Screwback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member . Iron Cross Screwback

Hello, My name is Rick Williams and i live in Australia<p>Im 39 and a Retail/Wholesale Manager and have recently started up a new business dealing in WW2 Aviation Items, mainly Aust and US items,<p> As well as other period items.<p>As a novice but serious collector of these items i would appreciate any help in expanding my knowledge base <p> Im starting from the ground floor up , so please excuse my lack of knowledge if I ask you a stupid question. Im keen and willing to learn but the whole thing is an information overload to the newbie <p> I have only got a few Iron Crosses to start my collection. I have also been BURNT badly with other stuff when i first started . <p> My First Question -EK1 Screwback version , Is this considered a Real EK1 or an optional extra. ? Ive got one and dont know that much about them . <p> Mine has what looks like a stuck hair in the RHS and been painted over, What is this? I have noticed other EK1s in your photo gallery have them also. I have photos I can email should anyone know the answer. <p>Regards Rick Williams

Hi Rick

Welcom to the forum.

Right, "EK1 Screwback version" is one of the type in EKI set, both 1914 type or 1939 type. In most of the cases, same condition Screwback EKI is expensive than Pin back EKI.

If you want to seek more opinions for your own pieces, try to post the pictures. We are pleased to share our information.

Hope this help.

Cheers
    BP

Comment

Screw backs were not official award pieces and were only private purchase pieces.

Comment

Re: New Member . Iron Cross Screwback

Hi Rick,

First of all a very welcome to this great forum. I see that you are already an Association member which means you are enabled to post pictures. Please do “a picture says more than a thousand words”.

About the screwback EK1’s, screwback versions of the EK1 have been manufactured since the early days of the war but as Raz already said they were always private purchase pieces and were never formally awarded. Because of this they will always lack the official “Prasidialkanzlei” code. If they were marked they would carry the LDO mark (which means a number with a “L/” prefix).

I don’t know what you mean by

Originally posted by spooner
        Mine has what looks like a stuck hair in the RHS and been painted over, What is this?
        So please post a picture of your EK1.

Cheers,
        Pascal

Comment

What i meant was the painted surface has an imperfection in it like a thread or piece of fine hair on it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Back view
            Attached Files

Comment

another
              Attached Files

Comment

When you say private purchase , as I know they where, Who could purchase, holder of Orig or anyone ????

Comment

Hi Rick, private purchase awards were available from the makers, uniform outfitters, tailors shops, etc. Only the holder of the award could buy one. He would have to produce documentation to show his entitlement before he could buy.
                  Hope this helps you and welcome to the forum!
                  Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks for all your Input and welcome

Comment

Dear Rick,

Welcome and keep your questions coming!

I assume that this stuck and overpainted hair that you also see in other people´s scans of EKs is in fact oxidation of the iron/steel core that builds up under the black paint, most of the time described as "veining". Some crosses are perfect, some have just one or two veins, others are heavily veined.

Nothing to really worry about, just don´t press that vein, or the paint might come off, showing rust.

With some experience, you will find out that the crosses of some makers are more prone to veining than others.

Cheers, Frank
                      Cheers, Frank

Comment

Thanks for the info and thanks for all help in my questions, and not treating me like a Nuff Nuff Have many more questions to come<p>Regards Rick

Comment

Hi Rick.....

.....One of the nicest features of the Forums is the search button (top of the page) and the Archived threads section. It really is nice to do a search once and awhile and you'll find that there is a ton of most excellent information in both places, on just about everything.

-------------------------

Bruce

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X