RK Owner Captured On D-Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK Owner Captured On D-Day

A few years ago I went to the D-Day Museum at Portsmouth and picked up a catalogue to the museum itself which included notes on the Overlord Emboidery which was commissioned in 1968.

I was having a clear out of my library shelves and found the catalogue again and located this picture of a Knight Cross holder who was captured and D-Day itself and immortalised in the tapestary too. (See Photos).

Does anyone know who he was?

The caption states:

Images of surrender... the haunted stare of a German prisoner. Courage in an earlier battle had earned him the Iron Cross.

Regards ...
    Attached Files

His part of the tapestry...
    Attached Files

Comment

I really wonder if it's actually an RK

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell
        I really wonder if it's actually an RK
        Well, it's not on his pocket as per EK1 and it doesn't look like its attached to a button hole via a ribbon as these are all below the the cross except for the top button which is undone with no sign of ribbon passing through it so I can't see it being a EKII that has just been awarded before capture.

Does the lefthand pocket also have some award loops?

Regards...

Comment

Maybe a recent RK winner that never received is RK yet. I've seen recipients wearing EK1s in this manner until they got awarded the RK.

However, it does appear to be a bit large for an EK2/EK1.

Comment

Possibly staged for the photo by the photographer.....On searching the prisoner the capturer found the award, An EKI, and pushed the pin through the 2nd button eyelet just for the photo...

Comment

Originally posted by Harry
              Possibly staged for the photo by the photographer.....On searching the prisoner the capturer found the award, An EKI, and pushed the pin through the 2nd button eyelet just for the photo...
              That seems pretty feasible Harry !!!

Regards ...

Comment

Well if you the size of the button or use a known size ratio you can
                figure the size of the cross. Regards, Ed.
                Ed. Anderson,Jr.
                The film "Idiocracy" was originally released as a comedy. Now it has been re-released as a documentary.

Sarcasm is just one of my many talents!

Comment

If you ask me the picture looks doctored for propaganda purposes. The cross looks added to the picture to my eye.

Comment

It does look like it was added to myself as well.

Al

Comment

I think Harry has it spot on, if it was an RK suspended from his neck over his jacket, you would see the ribbon or method of suspension coming from under his collar and over the flap which is partly obscuring the top of the cross. Definately not an RK IMO.

Comment

Its not an RK for me....
                        I agree with all my collegues that said explanations of what it could have been
                        Maybe like you say, it could have been for propaganda, and placed there
                        Or its an EKI.......
                        Cheers

Comment

For what ir's worth, I'd say it was an EK1 pinned there, maybe not even his.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X