Knight's Cross Documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriebel

My General was rather interesting. He was a divisional commander in France and this is where he received the medal. He was a close friend of Hitler's in Munich. His brother was the military leader of the Putsch in 1923 and was in Landsberg prison with Hitler and Hitler was a close friend of the family.
    The brother from the Putsch died before the war as I remember and my General Kriebel was transfered to the Munich area after France and became the military commander of Wehrkreis VII (Munich Area) and remained there until the end of the war.
    With the attempt on Hitler's life in 1944, Kriebel was one of seven Wehrmacht Generals appointed to a committee to investigate the Wehrmacht's involvement in the attempt. Again, this is because he was a personal friend of Hitler.
    Kriebel died in the 1950s of Tuberculosis in Germany and his wife and children also died in this period. Probably not too good a life after the war. I also have his uniform shoulder boards and his M40 SD Helmet (found it at the Cincinnati Show in the 1970s on a table-the dealer had no idea who Kriebel was nor did he realize that the name in the helmet was important.) It must have been removed from the house at the end of the war and it was NOT with the document, so evidently several soldiers of the US stayed in or looted his Munich home. I also have a picture postcard of Kriebel with his original signature on it.
    Ron Weinand
    Weinand Militaria

Comment

Ron,

That seems quite a grouping! Something to cherish, that's for sure.
      Maybe someone reading this post might have other pieces belonging to Kriebel and -who knows- you're group might get bigger.
      "Wir Deutschen fürchten Gott und sonst nichts auf der Welt " BISMARCK

Comment

It was rather difficult finding out anything about him. Luckily some of the researchers were able to fill in some of the blanks: McDivitt did a great job as usual, but his service after he won the cross was rather shrouded and I have wondered if he kind of faded out of the picture in the TR.
        His wife was considerably younger and he appears to have just returned home and sat in an office and visited with the Munich personalities.
        Even finding pictures of him during the period is difficult.
        Ron Weinand
        Weinand Militaria

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand
          I also have his uniform shoulder boards and his M40 SD Helmet (found it at the Cincinnati Show in the 1970s on a table-the dealer had no idea who Kriebel was nor did he realize that the name in the helmet was important.)
          I would love to see pictures of the helmet, if you have a chance.
          When you go home
          Tell them for us and say
          For your tomorrow
          We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
          Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Kriebel

Ron,
            Hermann Kriebel was the head of the early Kampfbund, and was an important early figure in NSDAP history, and as you note, was in Landburg with AH. The condition of your document and case is superb!
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

Kriebel

For some reason, photos disappeared, so I am adding them again
              Attached Files

Comment

Mr. Weinard,
                Because I stole them and now return the pictures.
                ( I keep those early ones ( 40') pictures like yours ).
                Attached Files

Comment

Excellent Mappe, Ron!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X