Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When were Iron Crosses Painted?

Hello fellow forum members:

I have studied and handled many Iron Crossess, to be specific the 1939 First Class Versions.

I have a question. When were they painted? Some appear to be painted before the frames were added--as is "textbook", but others look to have legitimately have been painted after the cores were added because you can see overspray on the beading...the overspray is even all around the beading. I ask this question because when I look at the pieces that I think were painted after the frames were added...let me call these "the pieces in question"..I know for a fact that these are vet pickups and some were mint in the boxes.

Anyway, any input on Iron Cross experts/collectors would be most greatful.

Warmest Regards,

John

Hi John,

I have a fair few EK's of which at least 3 show signs of painting after assembly,namely "106" and "128" EKII's and "4" EKI.They definitely haven't been touched up post-production.I have seen plenty of touched up crosses and they always show brush strokes and rough finishing.

Paul

Comment

-

Both versions exist, no doubt about that, but as far as I know the most common was that they were painted before they were asembled.

Comment

Hi Paul and Ludvig...thank you guys very much for the information...I have an L/54 that no doubt is not a repaint and looks to be painted after the core pieces were put together, John

Comment

John,
          I have two L/54's and they both appear to have be painted after assembly. I would post them but it does not really show up that well when scanned.

Chet
          Zinc stinks!

Comment

Hi guys would agree that the two versions painted before and painted after core was fitted in place do exist. The painted after ones are a little harder to find but they are out there.

Comment

Here is an example of an L54 with paint on the beading........
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the picture Adrian..very interestnig....I guess this shows that all crosses were not painted before assembly... I had always suspected they were not.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X