Danzig Cross - Genuine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danzig Cross - Genuine?

These are not my area of expertise. This was sent to me for purchase consideration, and I wanted to get the forum's opinion. The ribbon in my opinion is a reproduction, but the cross may be original. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Reverse.
    Attached Files

Comment

Maker's Mark.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Craig:

Although I am no expert on these rather rare crosses (this one is a 2nd Class), it looks OK to me.

Apparently they were all made by the same maker (as the one shown), some maker marked and some unmarked; some voided on the top of the crown and others where these "holes" are not voided. The rivets need to be real and not faked. From my own research, I gather that originals exhibit these characteristics and variations, but I stand to be corrected.

I have seen examples pictured where the maker's name is raised, and others where it appears stamped into the reverse of the cross (as yours). I am not sure if either of these characteristics is an indicator of period or repro, or if both forms of maker marks are found on originals.

Others more knowledgeable on this forum will perhaps indicate their thoughts on the cross you have posted. I am also interested to see the feedback.

If you do a search on this forum under Danzig Cross you will see some of the informative feedback discussed thus far.

Regards,

John

Comment

Thanks - I'm already looking through old threads. This is only the 2nd I've owned (potentially owned). Any idea how much these should sell for with a replacement ribbon?

Comment

Hi Craig,

I'm even less of an expert, but I'll comment anyway . Compared to the images in Detlev's book, there are a couple of differences i.g. the letters are not the same (particulary the A and the r) and the rivet is very small. I notice some lighter area around the rivet and perhaps part of the rivet has come off.

KR
            Peter

Comment

I see what you mean about part of the rivet, Peter. Check out mine below for comparison, where a kind of collar surrounds the rivet.

Craig - I am not sure about current prices for this medal.

John
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's a Danzig cross I recently got with some other TR stuff from an old hoard. The rivets on this one are countersunk on the reverse. The ribbon to this one has the right feel and don't glow. It's also folded at the ends and sewn together. All the other awards and such I got in the group were originals but not knowing anything about these, I just set it aside.

Ken
                Attached Files

Comment

The pattern of the enameling on the front is somewhat different. I've seen two others like this one. One is on an old thread here on the forum.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Kai Winkler is currently offering a three-place medal bar with this medal between the Ehrenkreuz for Kriegsteilnehmer and the KVK 2 ohne Schwerten 1939 for Euro 595 (before his current discount). It's item # 2551 under "Medalbars before 1945."
                    George

Comment

Danzig Cross 2nd Class

Just a couple of thoughts. The two varieties I've been most comfortable were originals were with no maker mark and with raised letters in the makers mark. I can only remember seeing one with a stamped makers mark and I decided not to pick it up.

For better or worse my thoughts were these.

I've seen both no mark and raised mark in references but not a stamped mark.

There were only several hundred awarded so it did not seem likely that more than one set of tooling would have been produced. All of there crosses were supposed to have been produced by the same firm and awarded in late 1939.

I've felt that the ones with raised letter were probably the original run. The no marks and possibly stamped marks being later run(s). In any case I would expect to see similarity in the construction between the later two types.

The rivit in the one I passed on and the one in your photos were similar. The style of rivet strikes me as odd for any third reich period badge.

As far as price, "The Collectors Guild" has one for sale. I think it is priced at $1,700 or $1,750. That strikes me as maybe a bit high but not much. If I were pricing it for my site I would probably put it on for $1,400 to $1,500.

Regards,
                      Carl Rugenstein
                      Last edited by RegimentalDepot; 03-08-2006, 11:33 PM.

Comment

There you go, Craig...a couple of current market prices which gives you a range.

I am sure you are familiar with Peter's site where the single 2nd class award is for sale (www.germanmilitaria.com). I had a look and that one has the same kind of rivet "collars" as mine - which I firmly believe to be a period original.

John

Comment

Much appreciated. Thanks for all the help. The guy I was buying this from wanted $700.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X