• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grandpa's iron cross

here are some pictures of my grampa's iron cross
    100% real

sorry for the dark pictures

I see he was KM, where or what ship did he serve?
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

i dont know that much about it, he died before i was born but my granny and my dad told me he got the cross in danzig, he was the last man to keep firing with some cannon or something altho the ship was sinking already, no idea if its true but i guess its not all made...

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly Roger
        i dont know that much about it, he died before i was born but my granny and my dad told me he got the cross in danzig, he was the last man to keep firing with some cannon or something altho the ship was sinking already, no idea if its true but i guess its not all made...
        an amazing piece!!
        Congratulations, you must be very proud of him

Comment

Do you have any photo of him that you wish to share with us?

Comment

wow

Hello there,

Welcome to the forum, that is quite the interesting EK2 you have there! Thanks for sharing. Somebody have an idea as to what ship was in Danzig that sank? It would be neat for this new member to find out a better idea of what ship he served on.

William Kramer
            Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

I have my grandfather's EK2 posted in the Imperial forum as well. Welcome! Charlie

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                Excellent doc & cross! I see it's signed by Admiral Lange, who spent most of the war in the Med & Aegean. I'd be interested to know more history or your grandfather also!

Hank
                Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Lange

Werner Lange - This man commanded the light cruiser "Emden."
                  Attached Files

Comment

Emden

Hello all,

So was it the Emden? I forget what happened to her during the war. Interested in learning more.

William Kramer
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

The KMS Emden did not sank in combat but it was scuttled by its crew at the end of war. According to a very quick research:

On September 4th 1939 the ship was damaged in a British air-raid on Wilhelmshaven that killed the first 9 German sailors of WWII. In the invasion of Norway it was part of the ill-fated Kriegsschiffgruppe 5, tasked with taking Oslo. It was the only cruiser of the group still operational at the end of the campaign, as the flagship KMS Bl******252;cher had been sunk by coastal batteries and the pocket battleship KMS L******252;tzow had been torpedoed by a British submarine. Emden spent the rest of the War in the Baltic, mostly doing training cruises. From January 1945 on it helped evacuating German troops and civillians from the cut-off East Prussia to Northern Germany and Denmark, including the coffins of Paul von Hindenburg and his wife.

In the night from April 9th to April 10th Emden was severely damaged in an air-attack at Kiel. It was towed with 15******176;-list into the Heikendorfer Bucht and beached on April 14th.
                      Decommissioned on April 26th, the ship was scuttled with explosives on May 3rd. The remnants were broken up after the War.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cruiser_Emden

Douglas.
                      Last edited by Douglas Jr.; 03-06-2006, 12:30 PM.

Comment

thats a picture of my opa

Comment

i have a question: what the hell does Btsmt. stand for? I thought of Bootsmaat but there is no such rank, maybe Bootsmannsmaat?

Comment

Servus Roger,,Welcome to the forum,,Also in the Opa EK2 club here You are very lucky to have the medal!
                            Iam Uncle Sam
                            That’s who Iam
                            Been hiding out
                            In a rock and roll band

Comment

-

Opa sieht toll aus, Jolly Roger!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X