Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK1 for review

Hi all,

I received this unmarked EK1 from a fellow board member.

1. Can the experts tell who may have manufactured this piece?
    2. Please note the green corrosion in the last picture. Should I try to remove this (i.e. will it spread, get worse) or just leave it be?

Please see my other thread showing a KVK 1st class.

janvs
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

the verdegris
      Attached Files

Comment

Dear janvs,

My best guess would be either a 4, Steinhauer & Lück (more likely) or a 6, Fritz Zimmermann, Stuttgart EK. Others will have a better eye for that, but I am pretty sure it is one out of those two.

Probably the frame is plated brass sheet with that green verdigris building up. I think I can see a brassy base near the hinge, is that correct?

Cheers, Frank
        Cheers, Frank

Comment

The verdegris crumbled right off with the point of a bobby pin and i wiped it away with a dry Q-tip. No harm done.

Frank, thanks for the comments. I'm looking throug the member site to see if I can find a marked example of a "4" or "6" to compare to. Thanks!

Oh, and yes, the area around the hinge and the center of the reverse where it is worn appears brassy in color. The badge center is magnetic though.

janvs

Comment

Franks right, here is my 4.
            Attached Files
            Greg

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

Maker close-up (Frank your good, I had to look it up after you made the connection)
              Attached Files
              Greg

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

The front
                Attached Files
                Greg

Comment

Here's a "6." (Pardon the bent pin.)

George
                  George

Comment

I did a search for a Steinheuer and Luck and found this thread discussion die flaws. Langemarck posted a picture of one of his EK1s (unmarked) with these die flaws. The thread is here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...r+OR+zimmerman

I have found what I believe to be the EXACT same die flaws on my EK1.

Langemarck's EK1 (focus on the circled flaws):
                    Attached Files

Comment

and my badge (photo taken through magnifying glass) with the same flaw pattern circled.

Think they are the same?

janvs
                      Attached Files

Comment

Pretty good detection work there janvs.

If those are not the same die flaws on Langemarck's EK as on yours I wouldn't know what else would qualify. On the results of your search and observations made concerning Langemarck's EK, were the same charachteristics observable on his EK as regards the hinge/pin/clasp set-up on your EK?

Also, it seems as there might be a toss-up as to whether or not it could be a 6. or 4, those two EK exhibit extremely similar identifiers as your badge.

A much better way to tell for sure would be to make a comparison side by side with examples of all three EK, of course.

In retrospect though, I would tend to think that the presence of die-flaws would safely rule out any relation with your EK and the 4 or 6. EK......but, I could be mistaken.

-------------------------

Bruce

Comment

Excellent detective work you did there janvs.

The two crosses are exactly the same, as what I can make up from the photo’s.

But you made one mistake…………………..

Originally posted by janvs
                          I did a search for a Steinheuer and Luck and found this thread discussion die flaws. Langemarck posted a picture of one of his EK1s (unmarked) with these die flaws. The thread..........
                          My cross is not unmarked but is marked with the makers mark………………
                          Attached Files

Comment

And the front of the Steinheuer and Luck cross.

Pascal
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Langemarck! It's great to ID this cross!

Another thing I didn't mention was that the die flaws were only found on the beading on the left arm of my cross. I see that is the same on Langemarck's cross as well.

I got this great cross (and the KVK1 in the other thread) from stogieman. Thanks stogieman!

janvs

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X