Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original EK2 and ek1?

Hello,
    I was offered a set of medals from 1 person.
    How do these to look? The've seen some action, but are they original?

Greetings,
    Frank!
    Attached Files

back
    Attached Files

Comment

ek2
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello

From what I can see in the pictures, (after brightening them up a bit on my computer), they look ok to me. The EK1 appears to be a brass core variant.

Although the back of the EK2 looks ok could you post a picture of thge front as well.

Regards
        David

Comment

Nice looking crosses.

Hank
          Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
          ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Hello,
            Thanks a lot! I'm only not sure what the dots are on the black paint.

Here's the other side.

Greetings,
            Frank!
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello

Absolutely fine. As I said before, these are ok. Nice original crosses. The only 'dots' I can see in the paint are small areas of rust and rust bubbling. I assume this what you are referring to.

Regards
              David

Comment

Hello,
                I received these 2 today. They are so much better as the photo's show.
                The core of the ek1 is brass. (I didn't knew )
                Does this mean, this is a early production? Does that mean pre 1939?

Am I correct, that you see these les often?(so they are rarer)?

Can someone perhaps see wo made the ek1?

Thanks!

Frank

Comment

No they cannot be pre 1939 as the crosses were only instituted in 1939!

Yes brass core EK's are more scarce than iron core crosses but I wouldn't say they are rare.

Dave

Comment

haha. That's really stupid. Same as asking, if a helmet is a M42 from 1940. I just got up, so that's what makes me act a bit weird

Thanks for the uinformation. Its my first brass ek1, so in combination with the fact that it's "more scarce"makes him a very nice piece for my collection. I also just found the great article at this forum about them.

I hope someone has an idea who made him, and if someone knows if you see such bubbling to the core more often? It can't be caused by rust, and I see no signs that it has been repainted.

Thanks!

Frank
                    Last edited by German_military; 03-11-2006, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Nice crosses you have there . Is that a maker mark you have on the ribbon ring of the obverse of the ek2?

Comment

Good looking pair of crosses. Congrats

Comment

-

No problems!

Comment

Hello,
                            Perhaps an interesting fact is, that the brass ek1 indeed belonged to a guy that served in the Kriegsmarine. This confirms that most brass ek1's were made for the Kriegsmarine.

The seller kept the dokuments, and I bought his medals; this ek1 and ek2, the Minensucher abzeichen that I posted , a war merit medal, wound badge and a Rumanian medal.

Thanks all for your help! In case someone reconises the maker of the ek1, just let me know!

Greetings,
                            Frank

Comment

Originally posted by German_military
                              Hello,
                              Perhaps an interesting fact is, that the brass ek1 indeed belonged to a guy that served in the Kriegsmarine. This confirms that most brass ek1's were made for the Kriegsmarine.Greetings,
                              Frank
                              Maybe he was in the Kriegsmarine, but that statement is not true. Brass core EK's were given to all branches of the military NOT just the Kreigsmarine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X