Comment

makers mark.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
          any comments out there.
          Merdock

Comment

I'm not sure about this one. Run a search against 'CEJ' or 'spanish cross' and there were threads recently about these and the silver content '800' against '900'.

Rich
            Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
            Decorations of Germany

Comment

?

You seem to have an inordinate collection of (how shall I put it) "fringe pieces", Merdock.
              Friendly advice...you know, you really would get much more help from people if you were a little more polite in your requests, and gave some background information to your pieces, and why you are looking for comment.

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Hi thanks Chris,
                I do not intend to be abupt but staight question and answers are a matter of fact to me ,i will try to be a little more human in future.
                i tried to give backgrounds on earlier threads to were items came from but several people said they had heard all the stories before so i decided to keep my posts simple.
                The reason for my posts are two fold in that it was to share with all some of my vet items and perhaps help others from making mistakes that i have leaned e.g. never trust any dealer.
                all items that i have said were vet items are vet items,i also changed tactics and just asked for comments this was to see how good the info on this site is,i mixed known originals with known copies and purchased pieces. so far you and others have identified all my known originals minus one piece.
                some of my purchased pieces have turned out to be wrong and these items were bought from Englands 'finist' dealers so i know they can not be trusted.
                i have noticed they have been a few bourder line cases where items had not been seen in the type portryed this was to be expected.

once again thanks this forum has been a great help in sorting out my random collection.

Merdock

Comment

all items that i have said were vet items are vet items,i also changed tactics and just asked for comments this was to see how good the info on this site is,i mixed known originals with known copies and purchased pieces. so far you and others have identified all my known originals minus one piece
                  Gee, I guess we should feel special but for some reason I feel like a lab rat.
                  David Tiffin
                  "They were the Leathernecks, the old breed of American regular, regarding the service as home and war an occupation!" (John Thomason, Jr. Fix Bayonets)

Comment

Hi all ,
                    i really like this forum its good to know that the people who give there comments really know there hobby.

Merdock

Comment

Excellant reply!
                      David Tiffin
                      "They were the Leathernecks, the old breed of American regular, regarding the service as home and war an occupation!" (John Thomason, Jr. Fix Bayonets)

Comment

DEALERS AND VETERANS

Merdock your statement "i have leaned e.g. never trust any dealer." don't hold water. Trusting veterans is no guarantee that you will get an original item. A good example is that a local U. S. Army veteran tried to pull a scam on me a few years ago. I had advertised in the local newspaper that I was buying war relics from all wars. The fellow came to my shop and brought a number of original items he had brought back from the war. I purchased them and about two week later he returned with a box of medals, army bands and a really nice Luftwaffe Dagger. He said he had "found" the items stored in a closet. He said that he would make me a price on the lot. Everything except the dagger came from a national dealer of reproductions. I smiled as he told the story of how he had taken all these items from German POW's or picked them up on the battle field. I told him that I never knew the reproduction firm was also in Germany during the great war. He looked so surprised when I told him who he had purchased the items from and that I was born ugly, but not stupid. He left the store and never came back again. The moral of this story is that you can't trust every veteran any more than you can trust every dealer. I have some of the best dealers as friends and know to watch others for fear of getting my fingers burned just touching some of the crap they sell. the main thing for anyone who is collecting is to know your subject and be able to trust your source of supply.

Comment

100% correct Bill and (we) have been around long enough to realize it doesn't end there! The German veterans have been "targets" for years by underhanded dealers. The old confidence game of 'trust' and then the slight of hand and suddenly the visitor has the REAL thing and the poor unfortunate vet has the repo....which ofcourse he swears is the "award" he recieved!!
                          For a great example just look to the Iron Time and ...pg. 440 " They are on his original Knight's Cross".
                          John
                          Regards,
                          Dave

Comment

Hi all ,
                            thanks for the comments as i'm not a dealer i do not have the problem Bill said most of my vet items came fom old men and women cheep or free ,i have been offered items with dubious stories but these have been passed on if the obvious intent is to extract a large amount of money .
                            The only vet items that have turned out to be wrong were returned by vets prior to 1949 that they bought in Germany in the army of occupation.
                            This forum has helped me greatly sort out the wheat from the chaff and for that i am appreciative.
                            The experts out there what is your opinion of the above posted cross ,this was a dealer purchased item and as this dealer has know been proved to have sold me fakes i would like to know.
                            Thanks again.

Merdock

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X